Thursday, August 16, 2007

HAIRSPRAY!

When I was a young girl, my mother would often
take my siblings and me to the drive-in movie. We'd put the seats down in the back of the station wagon and would usually fall asleep by the time the second movie came on. (In the old days we got double features).

One movie star my mom loved and still does is
John Travolta. I remember going to see Urban Cowboy, which to this day when I hear "Looking for Love in all the Wrong Places" it brings back a flood of memories. We also saw Saturday Night Fever, where my mom declared her favorite scene, besides the dancing, was the opening scene when John Travolta is walking down the sidewalk to
the sound of the Bee Gees (best disco band ever)

So when I went to see mom this summer, I had to take her to see her favorite man in Hairspray. Mom laughed as she saw her once very masculine sex symbol now dressed like a very well-endowed woman. She loved the music and
smiled through the whole movie.
When Link sang, "Tracy, I'm in love with you no matter what you weigh," Alec and Sophia looked at me with wide eyes and said "Mom!" I gave them a knowing nod, Yes, he does love me and for a moment I was a giddy 16-year-old girl.

When we returned home, we bought the soundtrack
and sing it at every meal. Our favorite song to belt out at
breakfast is "Good Morning Baltimore." But we girls always
break out into a lovely trio singing, "I Can Hear the Bells" more
than a few times a day.

Since Selena hadn't seen the movie with us on vacation, I just had to take her so she had images of the people singing.
And yes, Chris went too. As we sat in the theater, I watched Sophia's face grinning ear to ear as the first notes of "Good Morning Baltimore" started. I watched Alec mouth the words. And then sweet Selena would excitingly say "Mom, mom" as each song started and she recognized them. She sang along every time a song was played.

I'm so glad the children will have this memory of our family outing. Even when they're old like me and they hear a song from Hairspray, it'll take them back to their childhood and memories of singing and watching the movie with me -- just like my memories of watching movies with great music with my mom.


As you can see, in the '80's we used a lot of
hairspray. Our brand of choice was that
big can of AquaNet, Ultra Hold of course!

8 comments:

Christina said...

hey girl! loving the last photo--thats how i remember all of you--good times and TONS OF HAIR!!

i have yet to see hairspray--we took the girls to see wicked and had all the songs memorized..it was fun to know all the words..maybe i'll do that with hairspray and take them to see it..

fun to see your blogging now! hopefully susana will UPDATE more daily!! did she already forget everything i JUST taught her!?!? geesh!

Mendy said...

I did not know you got your mom to go with you--that's awesome!

Love the family pic; it's one I haven't seen before.

Hairspray Rules!

Julia said...

how fun! What a good memory, for you and for the kids! I have got to get that soundtrack! Target was sold out the last time I went...

Love the family pic too--what a good lookin' family!

Brenda said...

Love your blog!!! I'm so glad you are blogging now! One more blogging buddy huh?

I can't wait to see hairspray. When the Suttons told us about it, I couldn't wait to see it, and now I'm even more excited!! (:
Love the picture of Sophia!

Cami said...

What a fun outing for your family. I loved musicals as a kid, and my mom always exposed us to them. It's nice that you are doing the same for your kids.

Amber said...

I still haven't seen hairspray I am so behind the times! Can't wait to enjoy it like everybody says I will. Love the family picture brings back memories.....

Corinne said...

You slay me. I'm glad you're a blogger too :) I LOVED Hairspray. Zac is dreamy, huh??

Jann said...

I am totally taking my kids to see this too. I bought the sound track, and sing along as well. It is a great movie.

I love the picture of your family with your use of hairspray. Completely great.