I received a phone call from an organization saying they'd be in my neighborhood collecting unwanted clothes and items and they asked if I had any items to donate. I told them yes, because I knew it would force me to clean out some room in my house if I knew people were coming to pick donations up. So I decided on my closet.
I was surprised on the items of clothing I had held onto and can't imagine what possessed me to buy some things, let alone hold onto them for years. I tried to abide by the "if you haven't worn it in a year, toss it" rule, and did pretty well. It was easier than I thought, especially when I relived the criticism of a friend who told me to please stop wearing my ankle-zipper, white-washed '80 jeans. (I was just excited they fit). So I successfully rid my closet of shirts that I can't remember ever fitting into, jeans that I could never hope to ever fit into again, and huge sweats that thankfully are way too big. (Also was told by friend I look huge in them and should stop wearing them)
The one rule I did not abide by was the rule from the "Clear Your Clutter" lady who said not to dispose of a spouse's clothes, to let them do it. But I really think you get a free pass when you find very short bathingsuit trunks from his younger days, shorts that have elastic deteriorating, and Bugle Boy jeans with a waist line size that will never be seen again. (I love him anyway)
So even though other rooms in my house still need decluttering, I can now walk in my closet, which is now organized and happily see that there's now room for new items that I'll be wondering in a few years why I ever bought in the first place.
Tuesday, August 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Yes, I find I can give to AmVets every single time they come! How is that possible? My problem is, I always expect to be "that size" again (meaning bigger), so I don't throw things away that I should. I probably would just buy new clothes anyway. It's probably time to reassess once again, and maybe throw away some old maternity clothes that are seriously out of date and I would never wear if I get pregnant again!
I am proud that I am the one who shamed you into getting rid of those taper-legged, acid-washed, zippered-ankled jeans. I still say you ought to be ashamed...
Good for you that you got rid of so much stuff. I can't believe you even purged your beloved fat sweats. I don't even know who you are!
Chris should thank you that you got rid of his old swim trunks. EEK! And Bugle Boys--that's awesome!
Good for you!!
Yeah for you! I love that feeling, I am just itching to declutter, but resisting till the kids are out of my hair. :-) Hey welcome to the wonderful world of bloging!
Hey Tracy, I am an official blogger
abbottupdates.blogspot.com, check it out,
I still need to add some things to the template, but it has got me started anyway. I am so happy you are minimizing it is always a good feeling. I hope you hit the girls clothes too, they have way too much stuff!!
Chat with you soon!!
Post a Comment