Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Chris Flying High Again!

In the summer of 1999, Chris received a call from US Airways letting him know that he had received his dream job as a pilot. At the time we were living in California close to family. We knew this job meant moving 3,000 miles away to the east coast (which seemed like another country to us) but we were excited, because Chris had the opportunity of a life time. He was assigned to BWI and promptly moved east to train and start working. Alec and I joined him months later when we moved into our first home, in a great neighborhood and big, friendly ward.

Everything was going great. We had our second child Sophia at the beginning of 2001, had made great friends and loved the east coast. With Chris' job and benefits, we were able to travel and see places on the east coast I'd only read about in history books. Then after September 11, 2001 everything changed. I was just grateful Chris was safe and had a late flight on that day. We knew his career as a pilot would be shorter than we ever imagined. He was furloughed in December of that year.

So here we were away from family, two children and Chris had lost his dream job. Thankfully Chris is a hard worker. He knew he needed a new career and he went out and found one. He received his appraiser's license and then his realtor license. He's always supported his family and kept a positive attitude through all these years. He's never come home in a bad mood, no matter what job he's had. He always comes home smiling and positive.

Over the years, he's always wondered when he'd get called back to fly again, and the time has finally come. On August 27, 2007 (first day of school for our children) he reported to training with US Airways. His old home base of BWI is not an option any longer. So we prayed he'd get based somewhere close to home. Thankfully he did. He is based out of DC and will now fly the Airbus.

His pilot's cap has been hanging in our bedroom for six years, and he finally gets to wear it again. Only Alec remembers his dad as a pilot. Sophia and Selena have never seen their dad in his uniform or flying a plane. This will be an adjustment for them to have him gone days at a time to work. I'm very proud of him and so happy he'll be able to be in the sky again doing what he loves most.

Alec loved wearing his dad's uniform

Chris started his flying career as a flight instructor in California

19 comments:

Christina said...

HEY CONGRATS to chris! and to you for being SOO patient!!
im WAY impressed that he never came home in a bad mood from work!? i thought that was just sometimes part of being a husband who has to work!!

He looks so sharp in his uniform-that was so sweet that his hat was kept hanging in your room..and now he gets to wear it..awesome

Mendy said...

First of all, Chris looks like a fetus in that last photo!

You know I am so thrilled that he got called back up! I can't believe you didn't call me when you found out he got DC after I'd been praying for it all day. Thanks, a lot. I see how it is. Just use me for my prayer power.

Here's to a steady paycheck and medical insurance! Hip, hip, hooray!

Amber said...

Oh my goodness I had chills and tears in my eyes reading this recap. Thanks for sharing this experience. I am so happy for you guys. I think it is so incredible the wait paid off. Congrats to both of you. Can't wait to see a new picture of him in his flight uniform.

Ruth said...

I'm so happy for you guys! Chris was a wonderful, thoughful and dedicated realtor for us last summer when we were selling out home but we always knew he wanted to be back flying! Congrats to you all!

Cami said...

WOW! That is so great! I never knew he had been a pilot. My grandpa's blog was about his pilot days this week too. What a great daddy and husband. I hope he loves his new old job.

Meg said...

Congratulations! I didn't know he had been a pilot either. That is really cool. I love your posts- they are so well written and interesting. :)

Corinne said...

I didn't know he'd gotten a different job! I am SO happy for him! Whenever we'd chat about his flying days, he'd have this whistful look in his eye. I am SO HAPPY for you family, having a daddy love his job is an absolute blessing.

Joni said...

Tracy, I'm so glad to have you in the blogosphere and CONGRATULATIONS for Chris!! I knew he had been a pilot till the attacks happened. It's such an EVENT that he now will be flying again. Though we had been thinking of calling Chris when we end up listing our house -- guess he'll be too busy flying the friendly skies!!

If you email me at joni[dot]stimpson[at]gmail.com I'd love to send you an invite to my blog:) (And to anyone else out there who cares to read it!)

Jenni said...

How wonderful!! Congrats to Chris and your whole family!! I'm so glad he gets to do what he loves again - that's so great!! :)

Deb said...

that's so incredible! i'm so glad he's back flying and locally too. what great news!

The Spiveys said...

How exciting for you guys!

susana said...

I'm crying, I can't believe you didn't tell me on the phone, I'm never speaking to you again, I do not have to read your blog to find out about your life!!!

Anonymous said...

Tracy thanks for the anniversary card with the link for your blog. It looks like I picked the right day to check it out! Congratulations Chris! That is soooo way exciting, I still remember your lay overs in Medford when we would actually get to see you, how about a lay over in Phoenix?

Brenda said...

Wow! How many comments can a girl get?

I really am so glad for you guys! I just told Bri and he is also so excited! I'm also so glad that you are still going to be here, because we would miss you so much if you moved.

I will be sad not to have Chris as our realtor next time we move though (not that it is going to be soon or anything). He is such a great guy and you can tell he is a wonderful husband and father. Tell him congrats from us!

Kellie said...

Tracy, that is wonderful. What a wonderful blessing after waiting on Lord for so long. Congratulations!

Christie said...

Yeah for Chris, what a wonderful thing to have happen. I never even knew this little tidbit about him. I love the happy stories in life. *hugs* Good luck you guys.

Julia said...

That is so great. I am so happy for you both! Or should I say, all five of you? It will be different having him gone for days at a time, but then he gets to be home for days at a time too!

Jann said...

Congratulations. That is great when things come that we hope for. I am glad he will be close, so we do not lose your family. That would be really sad.

Cheri J. Meiners, M. Ed. said...

Hi Tracy,
I remember Sept 11 well. You came to pick up Alec from our play group at my house and I think you knew then that your lives would change. Chris did great at his new career, but I'm so happy to hear he's back flying- and that he's still close. What happy news.