Wednesday, July 16, 2008

If You Leave Me Now...

This summer is filled with sad goodbyes. Lots of families we love are heading west. I know I can't expect them not to accept better jobs in far away cities just because it messes up my social life, but it won't stop my sadness or complaining.
I loved working with Cynthia in church and felt a special connection with her once I realized she went to high school with my brother-in-law, who knew her as a peppy cheerleader. Wouldn't it have been great to see her do a cheer? I asked, but she refused. It was so easy to make her laugh and so fun to hang out with her. My children love William and could play with him all day. He was always pleasant to babysit because of his happy personality. They're very sad they don't get to hold the baby as she grows up.

I'll never forget the day Bradford called me and asked me to record some political debate that I didn't know people really watched. But he came over and watched hours and hours of politicians arguing -- and he didn't even fall asleep. Like Cliff Clavin from Cheers, he was always full of tons of facts and information.

As if it wasn't depressing enough to lose them, now Jenni is also heading west with her great family. I had so many plans with them that now are shattered: Adrian tutoring Alec in math through his middle school and high school years when Chris was gone; Sophie & Sophia being life-long friends; Selena marrying Ben, so our families could spend Thanksgiving together; and of course, Jenni & I wearing our Edward Cullen shirts as we watch the new Twilight movie together and then have a gab fest all night about how amazing Edward is.
Thanks for the great memories -- you've given us another excuse to visit the west.

11 comments:

Corinne said...

I agree - MUCH sadness.

Christie said...

Booooo, Jenni will have to fly back for the movie!

Mendy said...

Did you seriously just compare Bradford to Cliff Claven?!

I'm sad about Jenni, too. And a little scared about who they'll match me up with for visiting teaching since she's been my companion for like 5 or 6 years. Boo hoo for me.

Julia said...

Ok, now I'm sad too. I may have to go make my own post about this...

Jenni said...

Okay, are you trying to make me cry??!:) I just know that Ben and Selena are going to meet up again at BYU and we'll get to spend those Thanksgivings together!! And how very lame it's going to be to go to Twilight with my husband!! I bet he won't even wear an Edward t-shirt!!!;) I'm going to miss you so much Tracy!!!

Deb said...

hey, tracy, there's still hope for intermarriage. there's always the magic of byu.

Deb said...

whoa, jenni and i had the same thought!

Kellie said...

Goodbyes are so hard. Thank goodness for blogs.

cechols said...

See tracy if all your friends are moving to the west you should too and visit us everyday. The kids are missing you guys bnches

Cami said...

I don't wanna TALK about it!

Cynthia said...

Okay, you do know I call Bradford "Cliffy" all the time when he goes on those tangents. Ever since we were dating. Once in a while he starts off with "It's a well known fact that.." just like Cliffy just for my benefit. You are too sweet. We miss you so already! :)