Monday, July 21, 2008

Hilton Head

Last week Chris tells me someone cancelled their timeshare week in Hilton Head, South Carolina and we could go if I wanted. Hmm, let me think. So of course we went. The only thing was, usually we only get a one bedroom, but for this trip we had to take a three bedroom condo -- nice. We could've brought friends though, because the kids are still sleeping in the same room.
So we woke up last weekend, headed to the airport and because of full flights, had to split up. That wouldn't have been so bad, but in my hurry to get on the plane, I left my purse in Chris' backpack, so I went off without my cell phone or any money. Thankfully, Selena and I were only a couple of hours ahead of the rest of the family so I didn't have to start begging people for food.












There are lots of people riding around on bikes, so to enjoy the whole experience, we too rented bikes. And for the first time in probably 20 years, I rode a bike. I was a little shaky at first, but I successfully rode from our condo to the beach, about a 5 minute ride, without falling. No, I will not post a picture of me on a bike -- it was embarrassing enough just trying to ride it in a sundress while holding a boogie board. (The salesgirl at the store where I bought the sundress was reading Twilight -- had a nice Edward discussion)













The beach was a little dramatic, especially for Sophia since the jellyfish were very active. Alec got stung once. I got stung once. And poor Sophia got stung three times. But the lifeguards were very nice and had a spray that they sprayed on the stings and it totally made it feel better. Selena and Chris apparently have super skin, because they were totally ignored by the jellyfish. We decided to leave the beach and just go to the pool though, so Sophia would stop crying and get in the water again.

Our backyard is a golf course, so Chris took Selena to sit on the grass and watch the golfers. He made sure to tell her not to try to pick up the balls for the men when it landed by her.

Sophia is taking tennis lessons. After her first day she asked for a cute tennis outfit. She wants the little skirt and cute top. We haven't bought them yet, but there's still time. We also watched an exhibition tennis match between college players, that was very fun and competitive.
At a place called The Salty Dog, the girls made beaded seashell necklaces while Alec and Chris checked out the boats. All the people here are very nice. This is our first time at Hilton Head and so far it's been lots of fun.

7 comments:

Scarlett said...

Oh my goodness...how fun! We have a timeshare in Myrtle beach, but I would love to see Hilton Head one day. People ARE very nice down south. I'm so glad you had a chance to leave this hot place to go to an even hotter one. Continue to have fun!

Those Edward's fans are everywhere! Glad to know there's always a fan to feel truly connected to! I'm ready for my
t-shirt!

Christie said...

Wow what an adventure. How cool. And I would cry too if I was stung 3 times and no way no how would you get me back into that water!!! Poor girl.
Lucky family, you look like you're having a great time. :-)

Mendy said...

Hmmm, you have time to write a bog post, but not to respond to my email. Interesting.

I was feeling kind of sad about not joining you guys down there until I read the part about the jellyfish. Suddenly, I am perfectly happy right here.

I think the bikes look fun. And I am so proud of you for finding a reason to buy a new dress. If anyone can do that, it's you.

Have fun and hurry back to join me at the pool!

Joni said...

Wow, jellyfish and alligators! I can't wait to go! (Seriously, though, nice weather and family time. Can't beat it.)

Ruth said...

What a fun year you guys have had! I am a bit jealous of all your amazing trips!

Julia said...

It sounds like lots of fun--have a great vacation!

Corinne said...

That looks like so much fun!! We have jelly fish phobia at our house too - but honestly, I can understand why. So glad you got to get away for a bit :)