Monday, July 14, 2008

Camping & Racing


Well, I did it. Once a year I sleep in a tent for one night only, because Chris and the kids love it so much. Last year I had no air mattress, which was not fun. But I learned from my mistakes and this year we slept on a comfy mattress. We pitched our tent away from the majority of the people, because I was hoping I might get more sleep away from children who woke up early. But that was not to be since there was a rowdy group of campers a few spots away who loved running up and down the path by our tents while yelling and talking loudly. Chris wanted to go tell them to quiet down (I'm sure in a nice way) but I told him that might make things worse, so we got as much sleep as we could in spite of the noise.

It was a great time for the kids though. We ate Subway for dinner, while other "pioneer" families cooked their meals over the campfire. Maybe one day we'll try that, but in the meantime, we bring our food already prepared.

The girls loved playing with their friends, while Alec entered a new phase of his life -- he hung out with preteen girls the whole time. I guess my telling him they have cooties doesn't work anymore, because he was even sharing Ipod earphones with a girl. I am not ready for this.

After our camping trip, you'd think we would've crashed in bed all day, but no. We took the kids to a race track and rode go-carts. It was a blast. Alec and Chris were crazy out there and so competitive. I wasn't as aggressive and Chris even told me to quit using my brakes when taking the corners. We'll have to go back so I get braver and because the kids absolutely loved it.



Our day didn't end there. Chris and I went to dinner with the Walls, walked around Arundel Mills (couldn't buy anything because hubbies were there -- bummer). So Christie and I need to make a return trip soon. Then we came home and watched a movie with a friend whose wife is out of town, so he needed company.

We had a day of rest on Sunday -- thank goodness, because we needed it.

9 comments:

Christie said...

Wow, the go carts look like SO much fun! I am sure glad I wasn't trying to camp out. I think I would have gone and told the kids leaders to tighten those reigns a bit. We had a blast at dinner, and I can't tell you how many times I have thought about those shoes. DANG IT I should have just bought them. Stupid airplane rentals. :-( Poo!

Mendy said...

I still can't believe you went go-carting without me. At least this way you'll be ready to go when we double!

And you can claim that you go to the camp out for the kids but I will always remember when you told me that YOU thought it was fun!

whitney allison said...

Subway? haha, that's hilarious. Camp cooking is practically my favorite part. Sounds like you had a good time though.

Jenni said...

Sounds like you guys had a fun weekend! You are a braver woman than I to go on the camp-out! I tell you Alec is a little charmer - already sharing tunes with the ladies!:)

Julia said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend! we can sleep during the week, right? Too bad about the shopping (not being able to buy anything). Next time you can encourage the men to go off on their own (Best Buy has a store there, right?), and then you and your friend can play!

cechols said...

I cant begin to think about Alec and girls together!!! Well next time you come up here we will all laugh... and the go karts sound fun. I couldnt survive one day camping

Meg said...

What a good mom you are! Camping and racing cars. That is pretty funny about Alec, but I'm sure it's not as funny to you :O

Corinne said...

I totally saw Alec with the chickies. That was awesome :) I'm proud of you for sleeping over. For real.

Susan said...

That looks like so much fun! I'm with you with not sleeping on the ground! We have a pop up camp trailer and I love to go camping in it.

I can't believe how big your kids have gotten. I forget it's been all most 4 years since we moved away. How time flies!