Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Fort Sumter

We decided to not spend so much time in the sun today, so we didn't go to the beach. We took a drive to Fort Sumter, the location where the first shots were fired in the Civil War. It was a long drive through a beautiful state, but we were entertained with satellite radio. I was able to listen to an all 80's station for quite a while until Chris said, "I can't take it anymore," so he was able to listen to some rock to get his sanity back. I guess my singing ABC's "Shoot That Poison Arrow," was just too much for him. We did find an all Elvis station and educated Alec on The King's career. He asked me if I had seen Elvis in concert -- umm, I guess I could have, but I would've been very young.










Fort Sumter was fun to get to, because we had to take a half hour boat ride out to it. We only saw one girl throw up, so I guess that's a successful trip -- since it wasn't me.









When we were on the Fort, we got a great history lesson on the start of the Civil War, and I learned more than I ever remember from school. I was hoping my kids were listening, but they were anxious to walk around. I did quiz Alec when we left on some facts I hoped he remembered, and was impressed that he was actually listening.












It was very windy, which made taking pictures interesting. One man had to retake our family picture three times because my hair was in my face and I kept moving. So I'd say, "Oops, can you take it again." He was very nice and did retakes for us.
On the drive home we stopped and saw a battleship and drove over a huge bridge.
It was a busy day, most of it spent on the road, but I made it back in time to watch the end of So You Think You Can Dance and the kids went right to sleep.

5 comments:

Mendy said...

How fun! Look at you guys--vacationing and teaching your kids history at the same time! Aren't you the model parents?

Stop having so much fun without me; you know how I hate that!

Meg said...

Awww, look at that cute family! I love reading your posts because they always make me smile.

Christie said...

Looks like a good time. So glad to hear that Alec was listening. I've called you twice only to hear it ring and remember that you're not there. I think my brain thinks that if you blog, you must be home.

Corinne said...

Oh man, would my boys LOVE that place!!! I've got to get down that way sometime.

Julia said...

Sounds like you are all having a great time! What a way to sieze the moment and come out with great lifetime experiences!