Sunday, September 14, 2008

Three's Company

As I dropped Selena off at her first day of preschool, it was a little sad as I realized she's my last child and I have no more babies at home. When I was very young, I imagined my future family. It consisted of a tall husband with dark hair who looked great in a suit. I had seven children which included twins. We had a brown station wagon and lived in a one-story home with a fence. I imagined all of us sitting in church, children behaving perfectly, and everyone happy.

Life doesn't always turn out like we imagine it. I don't have my twins, nor do I have seven children. But I did get the tall husband with dark hair who actually does look great in his suits. My home is not one-story. I have four stories, which I should be grateful for because it gives me a little exercise.

Growing up with five siblings, I just always imagined I'd have a lot of children. But I guess not all of us are meant to have a bunch of little ones. There are times I think I could handle more children, and then there are times when I think I can't even handle the ones I have.

But I know I should be grateful that I've been blessed with three amazing children and not dwell on the fact that I don't have as many as I dreamed about when I was a little girl. I also didn't end up with the station wagon, but I'm not complaining about that.

9 comments:

supersonicjan said...

Well if you're sad about not having kids at home, you can adopt me and I'll just hang around your house. Deal?

Christie said...

are you having some sadness over that "empty nest"? Anytime you want to take a few, I'll hand em off. :-) Call me, and we can go shopping with just my one kid that isn't in school. :-)

Jenni said...

Tracy I think 2 girls and a boy is the perfect mix of children!;) I understand what you mean about things changing - I always wanted 4 or 5 children, but am now totally content with my 3. You have a beautiful family!!

Cami said...

How could you fit all those kids in a station wagon?? You are funny. I think you have a lovely family.

Mendy said...

I'm sorry your body didn't cooperate with your plan on having seven kids, or even four. But look at those three you've got! They're perfect...at least that's what you like to tell me. Just think how much harder life would be when Chris is out of town on a four-day if you have double the kids. I can't watch THAT many kids while you work :)

Dawn said...

I always wanted 9 kids, maybe my body would have said OK go ahead but my head and mental welfare said not a chance? and well i figure if my mind and mental welfare says no that,s what i need to listen to....
and you do have very cute kids

Spilter said...

You are such a good writer.....I love your posts. Seriously your kids are great and so pretty. Maybe it is good our future doesn't always turn out like we wanted. When we wanted so many kids we didn't know how much work they were! But man are they sure worth it!!! You are awesome.
Amber

Deb said...

isn't that funny? i had these specific ideas about my future too: 6 kids, married at 24, etc. etc., and none of it worked out. thanks goodness, really, because the person i would have married at 24 would not have been the right one!

Heidi said...

I always imagined I'd have a lot more kids, too. I guess that wasn't the plan. You didn't get seven, but it's quality, not quantity, right?

I totally missed Alec when I was perusing your blog yesterday. He's in middle school???! No way! I think he was in Nursery last time I saw him!