I am so glad my school days are behind me. The thought of going back makes my stomach turn and gives me nightmares. I just returned from middle school orientation and am overwhelmed. First of all, I needed a map to navigate my way around this school, and still managed to get lost and be late for the classes. They had us following our child's schedule just like our kids do every day, so we could meet all of their teachers and learn about their curriculum. I have no idea how Alec makes it on time to his classes. He has one class at one end of the school, then has 2 minutes to get clear to the other side. At least he doesn't have to do it in heels like I did, but still, it's quite a distance.
Then the amount of work he is going to have this year scares me. I can help him with the writing assignments, but forget anything with numbers. It's funny how our kids know their parents strengths and weaknesses. Even Sophia will go to Chris with math problems, but come to me for spelling. Same with Alec -- I help him with everything but math. I tried to tell Sophia I'm capable of doing second grade math, but I think they've lost all faith in my mathematical abilities.
So after coming home thinking of all the projects Alec has ahead of him, Sophia throws another tidbit of stress at me that's sure to add more gray hair. Apparently, they've kept her in the office the last two days during recess because a girl said Sophia said something bad about another girl.
Then Sophia, in tears, tells me how she told them what happened, but nobody believed her and they yelled at her.
Well, that's not what a mom wants to hear. So now tomorrow, instead of sleeping in, driving her to school in my pj's, then coming back to lay on my couch, I have to get showered and go into the school and find out why they've kept punishing her for two days, without sending me a note or calling. Seems to me they're making something huge out of nothing, which makes me crazy since it's going to interrupt one of my days off of work.
And of course last week when Chris was home, there was no drama to deal with. Now he's gone and the drama begins. I think tonight I'm going to go call my old friends Ben & Jerry to come relieve my stress.
Thursday, September 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Ben and Jerry are good guys. Phish Food. MMM It is so good to know that these things are happening in other house holds and it isn't just me. I too get overwhelmed at Orientations night, and my oldest is only 5th grade. Try to remember he has months and months to do all this, it's not all due on Monday. :-)
Funny, just last night I had to go to Kennedy (BJH) for Cassidy's back to school night. It is just strange walking around that campus again after all these years!! I too commend these kids for putting up with the teachers and their idiocyncrasies! I couldn't do it!! -- How is Chris with Pre-Calc? BJ may have to make a long distance call!!
Oh Tracy. I am seriously following your middle school adventures with my breath held. MAN. I love the idea of you running down the hallways in heels :)
Let us know what happens with Sophia...
Wow! School starting has brought back so many memories for me. What a horrendous, but fabulous experience. There are so many opportunities available, and I get a little frustrated when my kids don't see that. Oh well, it's true what they say, youth is wasted on the young.
First of all, your kids don't go to you for math because you shut your brain down and don't even TRY to do it. You're a lot smarter than you let on.
Secondly, I am so glad you pulled Sophia out of school and took her to a fun lunch today instead of leaving her in there to be punished through another recess time. Go, Tracy!
And lastly, hip hip hooray for a Ben and Jerry's ending to the day.
Yikes! I hope everything got worked out.
Post a Comment