Wednesday, September 3, 2008

First Week Down

I remember being in junior high, thinking I knew everything, knowing I was smarter than my parents and so excited to be out of elementary school to attend school with the big kids. It doesn't seem that long ago, but apparently it was. Because my little boy is now in middle school.

He loved his first week. He woke up promptly at 6:15. I crawled out of bed to make him breakfast and watch him walk to the bus stop. He told me to shut the door so his friends couldn't see me. He's lucky I didn't follow him with my camera and help him on the bus.

He came home glowing. He loved the freedom of walking freely up and down the halls to his classes without having to stand in lines and stay with teachers. He didn't have too much homework, so he was loving it.

He also discovered -- girls! I was not happy about this little discovery and after explaining for the hundredth time how he can't even think about dating until he's 16, I wondered if I could learn math well enough to home school him. That was a quick thought and I came to my senses, but his raging hormones are going to age me.

Sophia, being in second grade has had an easy first week, although she did miss her second day because of swimmer's ear. She has a fun, young teacher. Her class is in one of the trailers, and she loves it. We'll see if that lasts when she has to walk out into the cold just to go to the bathroom, lunch, and her auxiliary classes.

The first week I woke up bright and early with Alec. After he left, I would walk on the treadmill and thought it would be a great year, because I'd get in such good shape. It only lasted the first week though. This second week of school I haven't exercised at all -- I've slept instead. I so hope that my motivation comes back.











While everyone is at school, Selena has had fun play dates. She, Tori, and Marlee played dress up with gorgeous nightgowns and then danced around.

13 comments:

whitney allison said...

I hated middle school! Loved high school though, I guess I needed boobs to truly appreciate education. Good for him to be loving it!

Brenda said...

I can't believe that Alec is that old! And that he is already after the girls... Man, it goes fast! Tell him to slow down. Now, to look forward to preschool huh?
I hear you about motivation. I haven't exercised for months!!

Christie said...

Good for you for walking that first week. I can't believe that you have a middle schooler. I just keep reminding myself that Liza is going into middle school in 6th grade, and I didn't go till 7th, so shes not THAT old. :-) Watch out for girls man, they're trouble. Thanks again for having Tori that day, she had a ball!

The Spiveys said...

I cannot believe he is in middle school!! I started teaching him in primary when he was 6!!

Corinne said...

Holy cow. The girls will be breaking down the door pretty soon :)

Jann said...

I saw Alec right after school on Wednesday. He was running to the bus with some friends, and seemed very happy. I had to do a double take to make sure I was seeing right.

Jenni said...

I'm so glad he is doing so well!! I remember middle school being such a weird time, but good for Alec for being his happy self!! Oh no about the hormones though - I don't want to even think about dealing with that!:)

Dawn said...

Tracey email me so i will have your new email address and can add you
tbfullwood@hotmail.com

Deb said...

i remember bringing dinner when sophia was born! she's so grown up! and alec discovered girls? oh, don't tell me about that. i don't want to think about it... good luck with your exercise routine. sleep almost always wins for me. :)

Mendy said...

Unlike my sister, I seemed to enjoy school just fine without wearing a 32F, but, hey, that's just me.

Yes, our kids are getting big, aren't they?

Cami said...

Oh man, middle school. I'm glad he likes it.

Amber said...

I think it might be the boobs that Alec is starting to appreciate and has nothing to do with it being either middle school or high school. I'm just saying.

Spilter said...

I don't want Logan to grow up!! GIRLS Oh no. Sophia looks so darn cute. I love her outfit and that hair. Man you are going to have to watch out.

Glad that Salena had fun with her friends. They are adorable all dressed up.

Amber