Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Happy Birthday Selena!

A few months ago we went to Walt Disney World. As a condition of going, Chris said we wouldn't have any birthday parties this year. Everyone agreed. But let's face it, Selena is too young to enter into any kind of binding contracts or agreements.
This was evident as her birthday drew closer and she kept asking about her party. And even though Chris reminded her that we had dinner with the princesses, it wasn't registering with Selena and she just wanted to know when the party was.

So I technically didn't throw her a party, per Chris' agreement with the kids. I did not send out invitations, buy goodie bags, or even have a cake. I just happened to mention to a few friends that we would be having lunch at Chuck E. Cheese today, if they wanted to stop by. Some friends showed up and she had so much fun.

But the fact that there was no cake did not go unnoticed by Mackenna, who wondered where her sugar fix was. I don't enjoy baking at all, but I eventually was going to make a birthday cake today -- or at least buy one. But before I could, my sweet friend Mendy called and offered to make Selena a cake. I know it was killing Mendy that I didn't have one made. I, of course, let her make it. Thanks so much, Mendy! Selena loved her pretty pink cake.

I love how Selena still comes in our bed in the morning to cuddle. She still rubs my neck like she did as a baby. When she's wants us to guess something, she'll say, "Do you want a hint?" You tell her you do, and then she tells you the answer. Every time a song comes on the radio she'll say, "Don't change it! This is my favorite song." She loves music, dancing, and staring at herself in the mirror.
Selena is my baby and will always be. She has her dad's happy personality. I am thankful every day that she is with us.































12 comments:

Christie said...

"One of you looks fat, but I'm not telling you who." I can't believe he said that! What a card.... too funny. My kids had a blast, thanks for inviting us

Mendy said...

I take it I look horrendous in that photo,since you cropped me out!

I love Selena! She really is such a happy, go-with-the-flow kind of gal. It works so well with my little high maintenance one.

I wasn't going to mention the cake. You could have taken full credit and I would have bit my tongue. I know you would have gotten around to it, but it was easier for me to invite my family over for cake when I was the one who did the baking! Ha ha.

Julia said...

What a good friend you have that will make a birthday cake for your child! :D It's an act of service, that's it. She needed the blessing... and you needed the blessing of letting her serve you...

Glad everyone had such a fun time!

whitney allison said...

What a very happen un-Birthday Party. I realize it's not the same kind of un-birthday party as in Alice in Wonderland but you get the idea. And please, we all know it's not putting Mendy out to bake, it's what she lives for.

Corinne said...

Looks like a great time was had by all :)

Amber said...

I hope that my next un-birthday party is half the celebration Selena's was. She is such a beautiful girl. You are so lucky to be her mom.

Amber said...

Man she is beautiful!! Happy Birthday pretty girl.

Deb said...

i love it. what a fun non-party. happy birthday, selena!

Brenda said...

Looks like a blast. We were sad to miss out...again!! Just a crazy day.
We sure love Selena!! Tell her happy birthday from us. (:

Cami said...

Oh, she is a DARLING! I'm glad she had a little party nonetheless.

Shannon said...

What a fun day! That agreement sounds like something Joel would do. Love the pictures! We miss you guys!

Jenni said...

Happy happy birthday to my future daughter in law!!;) I'm so glad your sweet Selena had a fun party!!:)