Sunday, September 7, 2008

Sophia's Two Front Teeth

My children get their teeth very late, and lose their teeth late. Sophia is 7 1/2 years old and hasn't lost a tooth. This causes problems when her adult teeth start coming in, but there's no where for them to go. So her dentist told her she had to either loosen her two front bottom teeth and get them out herself, or he'd need to pull them. Well, my Sophia is not one for any kind of physical discomfort, so she didn't even begin to get the teeth loose.

Needless to say, she ended up in the dentist chair last Tuesday, missing another day of school. I took her to a dentist where our friends work, Laurrel and Regina, so that made Sophia more comfortable. This isn't her regular dentist, but we switched for this procedure since her regular dentist didn't use the gas. And there's no way Sophia would've sat through getting a shot in her mouth without being high on something first. So I picked up an extra day of work to pay for a specialized dentist who would get her nice and relaxed before he even touched her.

At first she wouldn't let Regina put the mask on her, and I started using my "mothery" voice telling her she'd better put it on, since this was costing a small fortune. Regina threatened to kick me out of the room since I was becoming "one of those mothers."

This made me laugh because Regina is such the bossy mother with her own child, but with my Sophia, she was so patient and used the sweetest voice. So I kept my mouth shut, Regina didn't kick me out, and Sophia put her mask on.

When it was all over, Sophia came home with her first two teeth in a cute pink canister. After we were home about a half hour, she walks up to me with her teeth in one hand and Scotch tape in the other and demands, "I want you to put them back."

Excuse me? Yes, she wanted her teeth put back in her mouth.

Chris laughed, as I explained to her it wasn't an option since I paid the nice dentist a whole lot of money to take them out. She's my most sensitive child. She held her teeth the rest of the day and would occasionally ask if we'd tape them back in.

That night she refused to put them under her pillow. She said she wanted to keep them. She didn't care about the money, which is totally opposite compared to her brother who would extract his own teeth, plus his sisters' if he could just to get some money.

11 comments:

Mendy said...

Yes, I loved her walking in with that Scotch tape and asking you to put them back in! She's so funny.

Christie said...

LOL!!! The tape is hilarious! What a hoot! She looks cute w/o her teeth in there.

Jenny said...

I had to have two of my teeth pulled as a kid when my permanent teeth started coming in behind the baby teeth. Sorry she had have her teeth pulled. That she wanted you to tape them back in is pretty cute, though.

. said...

My baby sister wanted us to glue her bum length hair back on after she had wacked it to her chin! If only life were that simple...Allen at 8 has only lost 4 and that was with a lot of wiggling on his part, but his permanent aren't coming in behind either. I love how different every child is, even on the little things! I say give her a few days, she'll want the money!

Cami said...

You could always write a note to the tooth fairy and ask if you could have the money AND the tooth. I did that once.

Oh my, I love the taping back in. Ethan has to get a filling this week. We have to use the gas AND demorol, good times.

whitney allison said...

Oh how funny. That's so crazy that their teeth don't fall out. Maybe you should feed them less calcium.

Corinne said...

NO WAY. She's a thinker :)

Meg said...

Aww, poor girl! That is funny that she wanted them back in. Will this kickstart the other teeth into falling out as necessary?

Amber said...

I can't possibly imagine where she would have gotten that kind of vanity from?!?!?! I think it is adorable that she tried to hold her teeth in.

Deb said...

"put them back in" - ha! hey, i loosened my front teeth by trying to bite my brother and accidentally biting his watch. tell her to try that next time. :)

Spilter said...

She is so cute. That is so funny she wanted to tape them back in. What a great little girl. Tell her she looks great!
Amber