Thursday, September 27, 2007

"The Talk," Music & Fashion

Where do I begin? It's been an eye-opening week with Alec.
First, after reading the joke edition of the Reader's Digest, he was telling me some jokes he had read. One of them required the understanding of an alternative lifestyle to be funny. So after he told me the joke and he laughed and asked me if I understood it, I in turn asked if he understood what it meant. This led to my realizing that he knows a lot more about the birds and the bees than I was ready for him to know.
I explained to him what were and were not appropriate relationships, plan of salvation, Adam & Eve, etc. Then I told him he could ask me anything he wanted to know about, even words he had heard, and I won't get mad. I just want to be the one to explain things to him, not his friends. So he says, "You mean like how you get a baby?"
Okie-dokie. I was ready. "Tell me what you know" is what I said -- and he did. He used some terms that I tried not to cringe at and he was very open with me. Then as I'm explaining how there are some words we just don't ever say, he replies, "Like that word?" Low and behold, the car right in front of us had a curse word written in the dust in the back window. Oh, what a perfect example. "Yes, dear, that's one of those bad words we don't use."
It was a perfect night for the talk, because Sophia was at a sleepover, so I took him and Selena to TGIF for dinner and I answered his questions as we drove, keeping it age appropriate, sparing him too many details and always emphasizing these things are for married people only.
Then today he tells me he wants some name-brand clothes. What? This from the boy who lives in t-shirts and I have to beg him to change those? He wants Polo shirts. I said, "You have plenty of shirts with collars." No, he means the Polo brand.
I told him if he wants to spend his own money on one shirt and be broke, fine. But I'm not paying for a logo on a shirt.
It doesn't end there. He then goes on to explain that all his friends talk about, sing, do the dances from videos of songs that he's never heard of. He's feeling out of the loop. I know this is true because he only listens to my music -- '80's, oldies, musicals, etc. I do feel for him, because I remember listening to the Top 40 when I was young and singing along to The Thompson Twins, Duran Duran, Culture Club, Journey.... and realizing Alec knows none of the current songs.

So today after school I took the three kids to the mall. We had a fun dinner, each of us picking a different place in the food court to eat from. Then Alec got his hair cut and styled in one of the salons by a man with hair down to his waist. Sophia couldn't believe it was a man because his hair was so long. Alec was beaming after the cut, because he loved how it stuck up in the front.
Then off to get Sophia some head bands for her hair and some shoes.

And we then went into a music store, where I told Alec I'd see what songs he liked and maybe buy him a current cd. So he tells the worker some names of the groups and songs his friends listen to, and she said, "You shouldn't be listening to that." Apparently it was some rap songs with vulgar language. Holy cow. She then told Alec how he didn't need to listen to what his friends listened to and suggested cleaner artists, but it was still rap. I really liked her though. Needless to say, we did not buy any music. I don't know how this will turn out. So if anyone can suggest clean, cool, modern music for my young son, please let me know.

I cheered him up by buying him some new shirts that actually look nice and even have collars. Plus, JCPenney had buy one, get one for one cent, so that's nice.
The evening ended on a good note with a ride on the carousel and some Maggie Moo's to top it off.
Unfortunately, time went by way too fast and we didn't return home until 8:30. Four hours at the mall on a school night -- I think maybe next time I'll wait until the weekend.
So if anyone wants to hear a good joke, wants to be educated on appropriate relationships, wants names of rap groups, or a shopping partner, call my grown-up boy -- he's ready!

17 comments:

Stacey said...

Ironically enough I just had the birds and the bees talk with Blake. It went very well. I am glad your did as well.
He is such a handsome boy!!

Mendy said...

Eek! I knew about the brand name thing (go to Ross or Marshalls, silly!) but hadn't heard about the birds and the bees. Wow! Of course, he chooses to "grow up" when Chris is out of town. Aren't you lucky?

I can't believe his school friends are allowed to listen to nasty rap. Where are their parents?!?!

susana said...

I'm glad you finally gave Alec the "talk". I told you when you were visiting this summer he needed it, I hear 9 years old is when parents are starting the birds and bees talk.

Julia said...

What a good mom you are! Not to mention two very good reasons to go out to eat (nice!). Don't know what to tell you about music, he probably wouldn't like my kind of music, but I understand the Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince are good (or are they still too "80's"?)

Christina said...

darnt i always FORGET to read your blog then have to hurry and catch up! whew! i just need to add you to my side bar- HELLO!

the math problem-what in the world?? what grade is he in? rachel is in 5th and THANKFULLY smart-so the 1st time thru she gets thing..i have yet ever have to help here with ANY homework-i thought dang this homework thing is SWEET! THEN sarah came..she doesnt get things 1st run thru...she's now in 3rd grade..she does GREAT in everything but struggles with math--if i dont get what they are doing..then rachel helps her...i HATE this whole new regrouping thing!!! do your kids have that??

ah yes the birds and the bee's..we've had the talk with rachel 2 years ago i think?!?! maybe 1..she was SO sorry she asked..it was quite comical..she's FREAKEd by it-works for me! she asked if she can still get into the celestial kingdom if she has NO KIDS?!?! poor girl!!

i'd suggest marshalls or tjmaxx or ross for the "brand" name things for less..ive had guy friends sew the labels onto their clothes-YES GUY FRIENDS!! whats up with that!!?? neither of my girls even KNOW what "clothes are cool" and what arent..whew for me! they do like roxy..cuz its beachy..but not really cuz its roxy..

as far as music..ugh..do your kids like any highschool musical stuff? SCARY about the rap crap!??! that cant be good!! again..i havent had any of the girls wanting to listen to the "cool stuff"...that would probably be harder for boys..girls we've got hillary duff, etc..so good luck on that one?!?!

Corinne said...

Tracy - you handled everything SO WELL. I am terrified of this talk. I want to feel prepared like you. I think I am going to invite you to do an enrichment class on "how to teach your children about the birds and the bees." What do you think? :)

Anonymous said...

Oh Corrine, I didn't feel prepared, but I had to be. I think that would be a good discussion for Enrichment since so many of us are having to go through this now.

Kellie said...

You handled that brilliantly, Tracy. You made it fun, full of happy memories and brought all these issues out in the open. All you can do is teach your values, and you did a wonderful job at that.

Christie said...

Wow, what a crazy week for you Tracy. It is kind of wild to realize that your kids are growing up. Good luck, and i'll ask my sister about appropriate moderen music, she's pretty hip.

felicity & nathaniel said...

This is Nathaniel (didn't want to lead you to believe it was my sweet wife) -- I have bands galore for Alec... maybe not brand spankin' new, but modern-ish (more so than '80s, though there were some quality tunes from that era). I suggest Nickel Creek, Mosquitos, Ray Lamontagne, Griffin House, The Sundays, Jack Johnson, and the list goes on and on...

Brenda said...

Ahh! The birds and the bees? How old did you say he is? I was thinking about telling my girls when they turn sixteen or so (: ... I bet you did a great job though. You know, when Sophia was at my house she said something funny the other day. I will have to tell you later... It made me laugh. Love your kids!

Jann said...

Oh man, it is so hard to have them grow up. It is always shocking to me when I realize how much my children are exposed to. What a great mom you are to be so open. I think you handled it so well.

Jenni said...

What a great example you are Tracy!! I hope I'll be able to handle the talk so well!! Oh, and I love what the music store clerk told him!! Good luck with finding him good music that he likes!

Jeri said...

I don't know of any clean rap...is there such a thing?

Actually this post just stressed me out. I don't want to have any birds and bees talks for a long time, but it looks like I have about four years to prepare for it. I thought you did really well! Thank goodness for the little brat that wrote a curse word on a car, so you didn't have to say an example. What luck! =) LOL!

Cami said...

Oh man. Please don't let my boys grow up!! Oh, the music. See, I was just never ashamed of not knowing the new stuff, because it was pretty cool to love The Beatles and classic rock. He just needs to find his groove and be happy with it. I don't know what "the kids" are listening to these days, though, so I can't help much. What a great music store employee though! Jake told me the other day how he once sold a whole bunch of violent video games to Marie Osmond. Isn't that nice.

Meg said...

Good job Tracy! It's tough being a mom and trying to teach what's right these days. I guess I've got a lot to look forward to :)-

Deb said...

wow. wow. wow. you have officially scared me, tracy. i think i need that enrichment meeting on how to talk to your kids because i'm already panicking and calvin's only 5!