The day after Chris left for North Carolina for training, I tried to start my dishwasher but it just made a funny noise and basically died. So I spent all week washing dishes by hand and felt guilty complaining about it as I remembered how my sweet mom with six kids who was either Relief Society President or Primary President didn't have a dishwasher and didn't complain.
But I told Chris I just can't keep hand washing dishes or our fast food bill will be extremely high. So he told me to go ahead and purchase one. He usually buys all our major purchases for the family, so I felt honored he was trusting me to do it. He of course wasn't letting me go without any direction. He printed up some prices of dishwashers ranging from 200 to $300.
So I set out to Lowe's. I found a salesman and explained I needed a dishwasher as I checked out the ones in my price range. But he explained to me that the ones that were a little more expensive received free installation. Well, by the time I paid for my $300 dishwasher, plus installation, I might as well get a more expensive one.
So I headed over to the other aisle and found a nice one in the $500 range, but I was getting free installation. I even called Chris to make sure he wouldn't freak out. He said $500 was okay. So I filled out the paperwork and I'll get my new dishwasher sometime this week.
However, when Chris was looking at the receipt, he kind of had a tiny fit. Apparently we round our numbers up and down differently. When I bought the dishwasher, I just saw it was basically $500. But Chris ever so patiently explained to me that $598 is not $500 -- it's $600. Oops. I never was good at math.
It was an expensive weekend. I then spent Saturday night shopping with Sophia and Selena. We only went out to buy shoes for Sophia, but there were such great sales and I do have to wear a dress every Sunday and for work, so I picked up some new dresses. Selena then reminded me her birthday was coming up as we saw the Barbies. How could I deny the soon to be birthday girl of a small doll or two? Then we went to Safeway and were total victims of a chocolate sale. They had buy 3 candy bars, get 3 free! Let's just say we loaded up with 6 Kit Kats, 6 Hershey bars, 6 Take Fives, and 6 Reeses. I think I'll put my credit card away the rest of the week. It worked overtime this weekend.
Monday, September 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
Oh, please! That's nothing your credit card isn't used to! I can't believe you bought Selena Barbies knowing that her birthday is right around the corner and that I'd already bought her one! You are the shopaholic.
Hey I like how you think!
$598 does seem like a lot less than $600 in some ways. Retailers are tricky like that! I think we can all relate to that overwhelming urge to spend when it's "on sale" and it's stuff we need any way right? Man, some chocolate would be really good right about now. :)
Ha ha! You totally crack me up, Tracy!
Sounds like fun! I call you a round downer, it drives me crazy when people round down. Once I asked a friend where she got her jeans she told me Old navy for 20 bucks! I went looking...no luck....next time i saw her I said, I couldn't find those jeans, the cheapest ones they had were $29! I guess I missed the deal. She said that no, infact they were $29! Grrrr. Always better to round up, I say, unless of course you're tring to convince the hubby to get the more expensive dishwasher. :-)
I have those kinds of weeks. Jake and I always say, "Let's not spend ANY extra money this month," and then I got buy some new furniture at Ikea or the like. Whoopsee.
Ha! What a funny funny post! I love the rounding up part! I totally round down too and it drives Adrian crazy!
I am sorry your dishwasher broke. That is no fun at all. It is fun to get a new one though. I was laughing as I read your shopping adventures.
WOW! Three days in a row working until 5:00. How do you do it? You need a long vacation or a massage from Ryan Stewart (ask Tracy for the number).
Now I know why your husband does the big purchases because your $300 dishwasher turned into a $600+ dishwasher and your kitchen looks like it was painted by Charles Manson.
Let's see, if the second number is a 5 or greater, then you round up; if it's less than 5 you round down--but your way makes for a much better story (and you got a much better dishwasher too!) :D Just keep reminding Chris that he didn't have to install it *eg*
I am totally a round downer! I don't know why I do it, maybe because it makes me *feel* like a got a deal. =)
LOL! HOW IN THE HECK ARE YOU OUT OF CHOCOLATE?????!!!!!!!!! I just read your post above. You must have had chocolate for all your meals the last few days.
Your thought processes made perfect sense to me. I would have been totally angst-ridden over picking out a dishwasher all by myself. Good for you!
Tracy - you SLAY ME. You seriously do. I love that you got to pick out your own dishwasher. My mom's appliances ONLY EVER broke when my dad was out of town too :)
Post a Comment