Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Weekend of Visitors

My friend Kiersten is on her way to Mexico with her husband for five days -- without children. Her children are currently sleeping in my house where they will spend 3 nights, then their grandparents will take them for the other 2 nights of Kiersten's trip. Bedtime was a hoot, as I listened to complaints about the bed not being comfortable, not being big enough, trips to the bathroom, drinks of water, washcloths to put on eyes, but finally everyone fell asleep with the promise that I would make them sausage and omelets in the morning.

Also this weekend my cousin from California is coming to stay with me. She is now basking in 90 degree weather and has no idea what 20 degrees feels like. I have a feeling she's in for a terrible shock. I'm very excited to see her though, because it's been many years. It'll be nice to see her in person instead of just on blogs or Facebook.

Her visit causes a bit of a dilemma for me though -- to what degree do I clean my house? You know, there's the kind of cleaning you do for visiting in-laws and the kind of cleaning you do for siblings and parents. If my sisters were coming, I'd wait for them to get here to help me clean. I really don't feel like doing the massive cleaning for her. I don't think she'd mind some clutter, so I'm putting her in the sister category so I won't get stressed.
It's going to be an exciting few days around here. I think I'm going to have to break my making dinner every night streak and let our visitors enjoy some fast food. I made it 14 days though! Plus I was getting "We want you back" letters from McDonalds and Taco Bell, so it's time for a visit.

10 comments:

Christie said...

WOW 14 days! Tracy, I am honestly impressed! So nice of you to take in her kiddies. I'll have to remember that you're good for that.. :-) Oh yeah, and I would treat the cousin as a sister too. :-) Don't in-law clean. :-)

The Spiveys said...

14 days is a long time! I don't think I've ever gone that long. Have fun with the visit!

Dawn said...

I am so impressed with the no fast food, i don't believe your house gets that messy anyways so you;ll be fine, if it were me it would take two weeks to clear up

Jenni said...

Nice job on the no fast food streak Tracy! I love the "levels of cleaning" part too - I totally do the same thing!:)

susana said...

So nice of you to watch those kiddies, now you know what bedtime is like for me every night! Just kidding I guess it is not that bad, anyway which cousin is coming to visit.

Mendy said...

Delaney looks like she is faking sleeping for the photo. They all are, aren't they? Too funny.

You're a nice friend. I remember when you watched my kids for three nights. Oh, wait. You never did that. Never mind.

Brenda said...

Oh my! I am impressed. Especially on on a school night. Good luck tonight!
And as far as cleaning, why don't you call your little miss cleaning lady to do it??? (:

Cami said...

I HATE pre-visit cleaning. Really. I love having visitors, but it's also exhausting. I hope you make it through intact!

Heidi said...

Way to go on the 14 days! I'm sure your visitor is more excited to see you then to see your clean house. Good for you for eliminating a little stress and foregoing the house overhaul!

Jared - Christina said...

"We want you back letters"!! LOL! How funny you are! That said, I need to get cleaning...my in-laws arrive on Thursday! :)