Monday, January 5, 2009

Confessions From The Closet

So far this year (yes, 5 days) I've actually stuck to ways I'm trying to be better. I haven't been through a drive-thru of any fast food chain since I've been back in Maryland. This may not seem like a big deal, but for me it is. For me to make dinner as opposed to getting take-out or have something delivered doesn't happen that often. I even managed to go shopping at the mall without buying my kids dinner at the food court. They couldn't understand what was happening. It was like being in the Twilight Zone for them. I assured them I would feed them when we got home.

I've even managed to dust off my treadmill and ab machine, which I've used the last 5 days. I've lost a pound and a half (yes, those half pounds are a big deal) and I'm trying not to eat so much.

I also decided I had to get my closet organized since I had some new clothes to put away from my trip. The rack in my closet started to rip away from the wall, so I decided it was time to get rid of some things. After a few hours of going through my wardrobe, I've come to the conclusion that I need a bigger closet. I can no longer fit both summer and winter clothes in it at the same time. So I put away my capris and shorts so I could actually see my pants and sweaters.

I was hoping to be done putting my clothes away before Chris came home, but he walked in the bedroom when my clothes were all over the bed and said, "Holy crap!"

He said I should be able to go at least three years without buying any new clothes. I'll admit that I don't need any new clothes, but needing and wanting are two different things.

I didn't realize how much I had until I started counting. I have 34 dresses, 37 skirts, 22 pairs of jeans, 11 shrugs and I didn't count my blouses and sweaters, because frankly, I didn't have that much time.

I will try to control my spending habits better this year. However, I already promised myself that black dress I've been coveting the last few months if I got to a certain weight and I have 4 lbs to go, then I can buy it. But that will be it for awhile -- I think.
In the meantime, I'm very excited to see the Confessions of a Shopaholic movie next month. I think I'll drag Chris to it so he can see that it could be worse.

15 comments:

Christie said...

I want to see that movie too! I think it will be funny. i can't believe you have that many pairs of jeans! WOW! I rotate my clothing seasonally too. All the summer stuff disappears for a few months, and visa versa. It works out since my closet is quite small too. :-)
Good luck with the resolutions. Did you watch Dr. Phil today... good tips on resolutions. :0)

Dawn said...

Wow! i think i have no dresses 4 skirts, lots of shoes and bags 3 pair jeans and 3 pairs of cords, you need to cut down girlie, but if i were as cute as you I'd spend as well ?????

Jann said...

This made me laugh. You are so cute.

Brenda said...

You are too funny! I have to ask though, are those clothes that fit right now, or is that everything that you have ever fit into? I have quite a few pairs of jeans too, if I count the ones that I hope to never fit into again!!

Diana said...

I am laughing out loud about your clothes situation and your husband saying "Holy crap" when he walked into the room. Hilarious. You need to read my New Year's resolutions and then you'll feel better about yours.

Jenni said...

Ha! I think that's a good plan, taking Chris to Shopaholic!! No one could be worse than Bex!!:) But wow, you have a lot of jeans!!;)

WilliamsFamily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Corinne said...

I love imagining you in a sea of your own clothing :)

Heidi said...

I still have clothes from high school, and even with them, I probably only have four dresses! I need to come borrow from your closet!

I hate shopping. I have no fashion sense, so it gives me a stomach ache to try to pick things out!

I remember you always looking great. Now I know why!

Keep up the good work on those resolutions. I didn't make any, so I'm doing great keeping mine, too! Hee, hee!

WilliamsFamily said...

Ditto on the need for a bigger closet. Nothing should get between a girl and her clothes.

supersonicjan said...

Impressive, but not surprising! I read that book "Can you keep a secret" by the "Confessions of a Shopaholic" lady, and was thiiiiiiiiis close to convincing a missionary to take it with him to read on the plane going back to America. In the end, I think the book was just a little to lavender for him. You still need to read Bridget Jones, though-I had finally found my copy somewhere.

Jared - Christina said...

That movie looks really funny! I'm excited to see you in your new black dress! :)
Want to help me clean out my closet when you get yours done?

Cami said...

Wow, that's a lot of clothes. I'm sure I have at least that much too, but none of it fits me at the same time. Good luck!

erin sheely said...

That's hilarious!! And I agree that needing and wanting are too entirely different things. :) I should count my stuff sometime just to see. Sure gives you a different perspective eh?

Deb said...

i have to agree with chris: holy crap! 37 skirts? i thought i had too many at 7 or 8. :) i think you do need more closet space. how do you fit all your clothes in a townhouse closet? i'd like to see that miracle.