Thursday, January 22, 2009

Visiting DC

This week my cousin Christina and her daughter Rachel came to the east from California. Rachel spent the week at inaugural events. Christina spent the week in New York buying up all the stores. They are now spending some time with us. Today Chris and I took them to DC. Here are some photos of our day.
Christina was as confused as I was when I showed her "the mall" and there were no stores, just grass between the monuments.
The highlight for Christina was seeing a motorcade coming from the White House that someone said was Michelle Obama. She loved all the motorcycles, black SUV's and flashing lights.











When we went to the Capitol, the water in front was mostly frozen, so Chris crossed it with Rachel. But it cracked every time they took a step. One lady's leg cracked through and she got all wet, but another man was actually ice skating. Christina and I stayed off the ice.


We took a break from visiting the Smithsonians to eat a gourmet meal of McDonald's. Walking in the mall was an experience because there were a ton of people demonstrating for Pro Life.










Christina wanted to try crab cakes, so after a long day at DC and after Alec's basketball game, we went to Ram's Head for dinner. She really enjoyed her first crab cake. It worked out perfectly as Christina and I ate our salads. I didn't eat my cherry tomatoes; she didn't eat her croutons. When we noticed each other's plates, I gladly ate her croutons for her and she gladly ate my cherry tomatoes. The kids loved dinner, especially the part when they dumped a bunch of sugars in a root beer, each took a sip and then gagged. Good times!

12 comments:

cechols said...

It looks like you guys had lots of fun, but it also looks very cold!! It funny to see how different the Mall and Capitol looks only 2 days after seeing the crowds on TV for the inauguration. Seeing the photos also brought back memories of our trip!

Mendy said...

I am so glad you have been showing Christina such a good time! And a crab cake at Ram's Head is just the way to top off any day, I say. You missed out eating at McD's in DC, though. The food in the Native American Smithsonian is sooooo yummy! I wish I would have told you that before you went. Seriously, you'd love it.

Kellie said...

What a fun day! You had gorgeous sunny skies. I hope it wasn't too cold.

Diana said...

I am so mad at myself for not seeing more of D.C. when I lived in MD. I would love to visit again. Cute pictures!

whitney allison said...

I love going around D.C. even if I have done it a million times. What fun for you.

Jenni said...

This post made me miss MD so much!! How neat it is to play the tourist in DC! And I would love some Ram's Head food right now. *sniff* I guess it's my fault though for moving away. I'm so glad you had such a lovely visit with your family!!

Dawn said...

We were watching DC all day as weel over here in the UK, A good day

erin sheely said...

That's awesome!! What a great time.

Christie said...

I too was disappointed the first time I went to "The Mall" in DC. What a rip off!! It's so fun to have family around!

Jann said...

What a fun time with your sister and niece. I love having family come, because that is really the only time I get to DC, and it is a fun place to visit.

Barbara said...

I've never thought to ice skate on the pond before - how fun!!! I like that you never know what you will see when you are in D.C.!!
(I have a picture with a sniper ontop of the white house!)

susana said...

How fun! We will be seeing Christina tomorrow, she is coming over for dinner to Julie's house. Laura and Steve are coming over too, it will be a full house.