Thursday, January 1, 2009

Christmas On New Year's Eve


We're back home. We had an uneventful flight home, which was great. There were plenty of seats leaving Vegas on New Year's Eve, so we all sat together. When we arrived home, the kids found all the presents that Santa didn't take to California. They were very excited to have a second Christmas. Selena got her pink guitar, so she could rock out to Disney princess music; Sophia got her big doll; and Alec got an IOU for a new bike and a video game that keeps him in a zombie-like state for hours.

Chris and I said we weren't going to buy gifts for each other this year, which usually I will break the agreement and buy him something anyway. But this year I listened to him and didn't buy him anything. So what does he do? He decides to buy me a new video camera -- which was a total surprise. I'm very grateful, but also have learned that I will buy him something even when he says "no gifts this year."

Since the kids were still on west coast time, we let them stay up and watch the ball drop in Time Square, which they thought was the greatest thing. Chris and I didn't go to a party, since he had to get up and fly at 5:30 in the morning. I'm sure the passengers are grateful he slept instead of going out.

Our New Year has started out with Selena throwing up, Alec
playing his video game, Sophia on the computer with her Webkinz, Chris flying to Florida, and me sitting around in my robe. I hope Selena gets better or our weekend won't be much different.

Visiting my Grandma Grace. She's the grandma we lived by when I was young and the one I have the most memories with. She made the best peanut brittle and was always so patient.

Our last moment with grandma and grandpa. It was so great spending Christmas with family. My sweet mom loved it and understood that we'd be back to see her in the summer, which made saying goodbye easier.

8 comments:

Christie said...

Glad your back. It looks like you had a great time. I hope your family is up and healthy soon. :-)

Jann said...

Welcome home. I am sorry you are dealing with illness. I bet your kids loved having two Christmas times. I know mine would. Happy New Year.

~ Amy said...

Evan and Selena should form a band. He likes to rock out too. Says he wants to grow up to be a rocker AND a lifeguard...

WilliamsFamily said...

Happy New Year!

Meg said...

Happy new year! 2nd Christmases are fun. I hope that Selena is feeling better soon. When we had whatever it was that caused all the puking it only lasted about a day for most of us.

Jenni said...

Happy new year!! Glad your flight back was much less eventful!! Sorry about the sickies on new years though - no fun!!

Heidi said...

I hope Selena is already better and that no one else got sick!

erin sheely said...

What a blast! I love splitting up the holidays. Having second Christmas is always fun. Sorry about your sicky...that's always tough.