Monday, May 19, 2008

Sensitive Sophia

I was watching a show with the kids about a 600 lb lady who was getting gastric bypass. Well, they had to give this lady an epidural, and I made the mistake of mentioning that I had that shot in my back when I gave birth to each child. I then changed the channel, because I wasn't sure how graphic the show was going to get in showing the surgery. About 30 seconds later, Sophia starts bawling.

I asked her what was wrong and through her sobs she says, "I don't want to have a baby, because I'll have to get a shot."
So I tried to comfort her by telling her, "No, you don't have to have the shot." I told her how lots of mommies don't get the shot, Aunt Cheri, Ms. Mendy, William's mommy.
This didn't help, because she said,"But if I don't get the shot, then it'll hurt when the baby comes out." More tears.

I hugged her and told her how it was a long time away before she will have a baby. I assured her that I would be there for her and her husband would be there.
Then my sweet Selena comes over and pats Sophia's head and says, "It's okay, Sophia. I'll be there and Alec will be there."
Hmm, I don't think when Sophia gives birth she's going to want her older brother there. And I can guarantee Alec won't want to be there.

She eventually calmed down and I thought she was over it, until later she started saying, "Mom, what if the doctor gets the baby out wrong and I get hurt?" She is so obsessed with this, it's crazy. I can't wait for her to forget about this.
I'm afraid she's giving me a preview into what life is going to be like with her when she's a teenager and gets even more emotional, if that's possible. I love my Sophia and know she'll keep me entertained and on my toes for the next decade.

6 comments:

Christie said...

Tori has the same problem... it is so odd. I have banned the baby story show in my house because Tori has sworn off babies. She just isn't going to have children. :-) So funny what they worry about.

~ Amy said...

I feel your pain! Evan was obsessed with death for awhile. IT was obvious he was always thinking about it because he was always asking questions, "Why do people die? When are you going to die? Am I going to die? What if I get sick? What happens after you die? How old do you get before you die? " And finally "I don't want to be buried in the ground." I decided not to go into cremation so I told him he could go on a shelf in a mausoleum. He made me promise to stay with him there. Lucky for me he seems to have subsided a bit with the whole death preoccupation. And it all started with him overhearing me say, "No,we moved to VA in 2002. Don't you remember your dad died about 2 weeks after we moved here?" Freaked the kid out.

Hopefully Sophia will get distracted by something else soon. Luckily she's not my child. I thought my nightmare epidural was bad but I'm even more freaked out about not having one at all if there is a next time.

Deb said...

that's so funny! i tell you, i'm glad i didn't know everything about childbirth before i got pregnant because i think i would have felt the same way. :)

Brenda said...

That's so funny. My girls have said the same things. I think it's funny that they are so worried about the shot and not having the baby!

Jenni said...

Ha! Before I had kids I was a bit worried about the whole epideral thing too, but man I think they are lovely now!:) Hopefully she will think about these things as a teenager and it will help to keep her on the straight and narrow!!;)

Amber said...

She is so sweet! Tell her babies are sure worth all the pain. Thanks for looking at all our cute Addy pictures!!