Friday, May 9, 2008

Expiration Date

One of Chris' little quirks is that he has to have everything in the cupboard lined up perfectly, labels out, with the food that will expire first in the front. In his perfect world, I would do this also. Unfortunately, I don't pay attention to the expiration dates as well as I should. I often buy bottles of things, thinking I'll make some grand dish that a friend told me about. But inevitably I just shove in the back of a shelf and it never gets used.
Chris has taken on the job of cleaning the refrigerator out and disposing of old food. He also will periodically go through the cupboard, throwing out old food I haven't used and then realign it all.

He had a lot of days off this week, so he did the food cupboard. Let's just say he wasn't pleased at all he had to throw out because it was too old. Who knew I had 3 bottles of vinegar? I remember buying it when Alec got stung by a bee, but I have no idea how I ended up with 3. He had to throw away bottles of gravy that I bought one year during Thanksgiving, but the kids hated it so I didn't use the rest. The saddest for me was bottles of hot fudge. How could I have forgotten about that? The highlight was I had just returned from a Costco trip with 2 huge bottles of Ranch dressing when Chris held up a bottle of Ranch he took from the pantry asking why I bought more. Then looking at the expiration date that he already knew had passed, smirked at me and threw it away.

I do enjoy watching Chris do these little tasks. I tell myself it's cute and try not to get annoyed as I get lectured on how wasteful it is when I don't use what I buy. I will try to be better, but then what in the world would Chris do on his days off?
As he was cleaning, he asked me why I had the camera. I told him whether he liked it or not, he was my next blog. He didn't smile for me, but is still adorable!

13 comments:

Mendy said...

A smile in that picture of him would be out of place!

I know Chris doesn't like your food storage, but he'll be grateful someday when the world ends and no one else has Ranch Dressing but the Oberings.

whitney allison said...

See, I'm a gambler...an expiration date doesn't mean too much to me unless it's milk or more than a year past. If I sniff it and don't pass out, it's good enough. Seriously. I'm sick.

Christie said...

That is the prefect face for the job. I would love it if he would head over here and do that at my house every once in a while. What a great guy.

~ Amy said...

Sounds a little OCD to me, but hey I am more like him than I would like to admit...

Jann said...

This was just funny to me. The picture is great.

Jenni said...

Ha!! You made me laugh Tracy - I never would have taken Chris for a expiration date enforcer! The pic was extra-specially funny!:)

Dawn said...

Brent has that exact same face on when he goes through my cupboards? He doesn't put them all neatly in there tho but he does give me a lecture when they run out!!!! He does the shopping now so it's HIS fault if we run out,I haste,n to add he only does the shopping because i spend too much.
BUT I ONLY let him because when he does the shopping HE puts it away

Cheri J. Meiners, M. Ed. said...

I agree that's it's a great thing for him to do on his day off!

Meg said...

oooo, hot fudge? That is very sad that you lost the hot fudge!

Scarlett said...

I know EXACTLY what you mean! Holy cow, we must have married the same guy! MATT does the same thing, but he waits til he can't take it no more and then I have to hear about, but afterwards my pantry is all nice and neat. The painful part if when he goes through the garage...ouchy! how funny!

That picture was hilirious! He wanted to choke you! hahahaha.

Corinne said...

That picture of chris slays me!

Amber said...

I love it!! What a man.

Cami said...

Yes, Jake is a stickler for expiration dates. Very funny