Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Congressional Hearings

Our county is one that puts on simulated Congressional Hearings for 5th graders. And it was such a great experience for Alec. He prepared a speech and studied the topic of "How Does the Constitution Protect Our Basic Rights?"
Volunteers came in to judge the students' speeches and then question them on what they spoke about. The judges were police officers, a Major from Civil Air Patrol, board of education members, and attorneys.
As I watched Alec up there, looking so grown up, answering questions like a professional politician, I almost started crying, but I knew Chris would have been embarrassed, so I controlled my emotions. The judges questioned them on Constitutional facts and I was amazed at how much these young students knew.
Very few schools do these hearings, so I'm very grateful we're in one that does. It was a chance to see how intelligent these children are and see the potential they have to be great leaders.
Of course the highlight was seeing Alec sitting up there all grown up, having adult conversations with these judges.
When it was over, we took him to lunch at Wendy's and were joined by Scarlett and her daughter Brenna who also participated in the hearings. After lunch we went back to the school for the closing ceremonies where the kids sang patriotic songs and watched a slide show of their Congressional Hearing day.

9 comments:

Mendy said...

I'm so glad you had a great time watching your boy. I almost always cry at such things. Go, Alec!

Jann said...

Kelsie's school does this also, and it is amazing.

Christie said...

Man, That is such a grown up thing to do. I can't imagine Liza doing that, and she is suppose to be there next year. Hummm, she's got a lot of growing up to do.

Brenda said...

That's so awesome! What a great experience he had and will remember forever!

Deb said...

he really has that serious congressman look down pat. politics, here he comes!

Dawn said...

Fiennas school did this as well I was very impressed.

Cami said...

I can see him as a politician. Sure.

Corinne said...

These scare the snot out of me.

cechols said...

Hey Tracy,
My kid built a pyramid out of rice kripy treats...so I understand that overwhelming pride you're feeling. It's always good to see our children reaching for their potential.