Monday, March 31, 2008

Weekend With Mom

This weekend has been one spent indoors. Unlike being with Chris in New Mexico where we went out every single day touring, I haven't left my parent's home since I arrived. My mom doesn't care for going out a lot, and I don't mind staying in my sweats all day. Selena goes in her room every morning and says, "I want grandma to wake up," as she tries to wake her up by stroking her neck. But my mom won't budge until after 9:00.
In the picture with my girls, she's wearing a shirt I bought her from Santa Fe. I don't know if she cared for the color, but she wore it anyway.

My mom has been very patient with me as I try to figure out what she wants. Her new favorite drink is Coke from a glass bottle. Before her stroke, she wouldn't touch caffeinated drinks past noon, because she'd have trouble sleeping. Now, she downs bottles of it for lunch & dinner and still sleeps all night.

She laughed at me and my sister Laura as we argued over what she wanted to drink for lunch. I opened her Coke, but then my mom covered the top with a napkin, so Laura said, she didn't want that. I insisted she wanted her Coke, because she nodded yes when I asked her. As we argued back and forth, my mom rolled her eyes at us, and then took a sip of her Coke -- I knew I was right.

Mom was very patient with me as I brushed her teeth and accidentally dropped a blob of toothpaste on her chest. At least this trip I didn't drop her as I was helping her out of her chair. I did that shortly after her stroke and she sat on the floor and was trying to say, "What in the heck is wrong with you" or so I thought from her facial expression. I apologized over and over as I called my sisters to help me get her up. I'm much better now at moving her.

We've watched a ton of movies. My mom loved Enchanted, especially the corny Prince Charming. Today was our movie day. She loved Sixteen Candles, The Wedding Singer, and Ocean's Eleven. Then my sister popped in The Ultimate Gift, which had a good message, but causes tears. I don't like teary movies.

We've had a nice visit with all the cousins. However, this house is so open & big that when the kids start making noise it echos all over very loudly. Thankfully they did play outside a lot, even though my Las Vegas-living sister complained it was too cold for them to go out. Umm, when it's in the 60's, that's not cold.

I only have a day and a half left. It'll be very sad to say goodbye to my mom, like it always is. But it seems like I've been gone forever and I can't wait to see Alec & Chris again.

9 comments:

Scarlett said...

Hey my dear friend, you are a good daughter. I love the picture of the girls w/grandma. There no better time you can spend w/your mamacita then letting her see you every day and be awakend by that gorgeous grandaughter. I bet she loves hearing all the noise throughout the house.

Well, enjoy the rest of your stay, Alec was fine at church yesterday and he said he had a great time on vacation. I suspect he wanted to stay longer?

See you soon, hugs.

The Spiveys said...

Your mom has good taste. Sixteen Candles is one of my all time favorite movies. Have fun with your family!!

Cami said...

Yes, 60s is not cold. That's like, go to the park weather.

You are a wonderful daughter. I'm sure it's hard and nice at the same time to be able to help your mother and do the best you can. It must be frustrating for her! It sounds like you all have a lot of patience, and love.

Jann said...

Very sweet pictures. Wow, you have had quite a vacation.

Christie said...

Cute photos and stories of your visit with your mom. I am sure that she enjoyed your visit and i was surprised to hear that you were the one arguing that it was NOT too cold outside. :-)

Dawn said...

your Selina has the most beautiful smile

Amber said...

I am so glad you were able to go see your family too! I bet your mom and dad loved having you around. I am sure glad to have you home though.

Brenda said...

I'm so glad you are back! I noticed you today in front of me in line to get the kiddos. Sounds like you had a great time! You make me homesick!!

Corinne said...

It looks like you had SUCH a great trip. How wonderful to spend some time with your mom :)