Sunday, March 16, 2008

Flashback Weekend

My sister sent me a picture from my elementary school days. I showed it to my children and Alec said, "Were you teased a lot when you were younger?" Then Selena says, "You were like a boy, right, Mom?"
Oh, my goodness. I know I was an extremely late bloomer, but I didn't think my children would notice -- they did. I remember begging my mom for a short pixie haircut so I could have hair like one of my friends. Well, I obviously didn't have the face for short hair and regret having it cut. It didn't help having three beautiful sisters. Maybe that's why I talked so much, I wanted to get noticed. (Sophia asks for a short haircut and I have flashbacks to my hair & say no!)

I've been thinking a lot about high school days & elementary school days, especially since my radio station has had all '80's music weekends. That totally makes me feel old that my music is considered "oldies" and it gets it's own weekend.

Then my church is planning a prom night for the adults where they'll play our high school music, we get to wear clothes from our teenage years, and they'll even take pictures. How fun to hear Wham!, Duran Duran, Erasure & Bon Jovi again.

But the main event that took me back to my past was an email from a girl that lived a few houses up from me when I was growing up. We played together from when we were 5, until we moved away from home. We'd ride the bus together and always be at each other's homes. She's now an old married girl like me, living in Los Angeles.

We've been emailing and talking about how our old neighborhood is going downhill and it's sad to see that people don't take care of our childhood homes; how our elementary school, that was huge to us when we were younger, now is actually so small, and catching up on families.

It seems like a lifetime ago. There are times I wish I could go back and live some parts of my life over again. I'd spend more time with my parents and not worry about boys so much. I'm a little homesick this week. Now I really can't wait for summer to be here, so I can go visit old friends and family.

12 comments:

The Spiveys said...

Your kids' comments are so funny! We all had a tragic haircut or two growing up.

Brenda said...

That picture is so funny! I love it because I did the same thing when I was little and would pray every night that my hair would grow back!! (:
I know what you mean about missing family!! Me too! I can't wait to see them this summer!

whitney allison said...

I'm suprised that Selena didn't ask you if Marlee gave you that hair cut. Hilarious.

Jenni said...

Oh that picture Tracy!! I think you were a cutie - pixie cut and all!!:) I think this high school reunion dance sounds so fun!! I hope they play lots of 80's and 90's, what would a high school dance be without "Somebody"!!:)

supersonicjan said...

That was a very brave post, and another reminder as to why I've never had my hair shorter than my shoulders (not even that short) ever. I love talking about the good old times too, and it really makes me homesick, but then I realize that things aren't quite as magical as I remember them. And the homecoming activity is going to be awesome. I'm going to pretend I graduated in 1987.

Unknown said...

That picture brought back a lot of memories for me. I agree baby sister, it's hard to go back to the old neighborhood and see what has become of it. The Martin's home, the neighborhood swimming pool, Carrie's home, the White's home, and so on. Of course, the house at the bottom of the street still looks the same as it did 30 years ago, scarry!! Cheri feels the same everytime we go and visit her parents home. They do so much to keep it looking good, while the neighbors just go for the Section 8look.

Unknown said...

That picture brought back a lot of memories for me. I agree baby sister, it's hard to go back to the old neighborhood and see what has become of it. The Martin's home, the neighborhood swimming pool, Carrie's home, the White's home, and so on. Of course, the house at the bottom of the street still looks the same as it did 30 years ago, scarry!! Cheri feels the same everytime we go and visit her parents home. They do so much to keep it looking good, while the neighbors just go for the Section 8look.

Meg said...

Kind of Velma from Scooby-doo-esque, but you were still a cutie;) Kids are so funny with their brutally honest comments. Just today Jaide told me my tummy was too big for my shirt!

Cami said...

Hey, just today Jefferson told me I looked like a boy in an old picture of me (I was 10 and had that same haircut). How rude.

That dance is going to be awesome fun. You'd better send in some song requests!!

Mendy said...

Honestly, after hearing what your kids had said, I was envisioning much worse. I'm happy for you that you've reconnected with an old friend, that's always fun.

susana said...

Cute picture!

Jared - Christina said...

That is a funny picture! Why must things like that always come back to haunt us?