Monday, March 3, 2008

The Agony of Defeat

Tonight was a playoff basketball game for Alec. It's single elimination and they had already won their first game on Saturday. The game was close the entire time, within a couple of points. Then there's just a few seconds left, Alec's team is behind by one basket. His team is throwing up shot after shot, but missing. Then as Alec has the ball and shoots it up, his coach calls for a time out because time was running out, not realizing that Alec's shot went in, which would've tied the game. But the shot didn't count because the time out was called first.

Alec & his teammates didn't realize time out had been called and were celebrating Alec's basket until the coach explained what happened. Alec dropped to the ground in disbelief, another teammate started crying. They had a few seconds to get another miracle shot, but it didn't happen and they are out of the playoffs.

It was so emotional and I felt for Alec and even had to stop myself from crying, not because of the loss, but because of Alec's disappointment. As the coach gave them their post-game speech, Alec did cry but I told him that's okay -- it was an anxiety filled emotional game.

He felt better once we were home & he was able to call his dad (who is in Jamaica) and tell him how he made the shot that tied the game, but still lost. As I said good night to him, I told him to imagine how the guys who lose the Super Bowl feel. He smiled, which is what I wanted.

They had a great season, a great coach and most important a lot of fun. I realized tonight, once again, that we feel what our children feel, only magnified because we can't control everything that affects them. My stomach is still in knots -- just part of the joy of motherhood.

9 comments:

Brenda said...

Oh, poor Alec! It's a great story though that he will remember forever, and he can take comfort that he would have won the game for them!
I know the feeling of getting knots in your stomach for your kids! I am amazed at how nervous I get for my kids for things that I didn't for myself. How funny!

Deb said...

poor alec! that is a heartbreaker! but like brenda said, a great story for sacrament meeting someday!

Dawn said...

Bon Jovi???? and you didn't take me. I'm gutted, they are so hot well Jon not too sure about Richie???

Oh and yeah poor Alec!

whitney allison said...

I felt anxiety just reading it! I definately also feel pretty bad for the coach, if I were him I doubt I could've slept at all that night.

Cami said...

Oh, that is very unfair. How sad for everyone. Man, I don't think Jeffy will get to play any sports. It's bad enough when he loses in Wii bowling!

Christie said...

Awww, poor guy. That would really suck!! Duh, on the coach!

Jenni said...

Poor Alec - that would be such a hard way to end the season! I bet the coach felt horrible! Glad you got him to smile in the end - just think what those superbowl players moms must be going through too!:)

Christie said...

Tracy, that song that I posted is on I tunes, and when I went to see him in "concert" at the Temple Visitors Center, he told the story of where it came from. He was asked to teach a youth Sunday school class, and read the lesson about the lost sheep etc, and thought, None of these kids are the lost sheep, they are here at Church doing what they are suppose to be doing, why do they want a lesson on the lost ones and how much the lord loves the lost ones. Then he wrote this song for the Sunday School Class. I certainly would have like to have known this song as a youth, it makes you feel like the Lord appreciates you for being good.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes being a mom is so hard! As Mom's aren't we always suppose to know just the right things to say to our kids to give them comfort? I find myself at a loss for words and it frustrates me! Jamaica? Is Chris flying there now? That is my favorite place on this earth! I wanna go! You will have to ask him if I can come along!