Now, I'm the mother of a pre-teen who values his friends' opinions more than mine.
This morning he received a phone call from a friend who said, "We're wearing yellow today." I had no idea boys called each other to coordinate wardrobes, but they do. So Alec went upstairs and changed into this yellowish sweatshirt, which by the way I've been trying to get him to wear because it'll keep him warm, but he never would.
This morning he received a phone call from a friend who said, "We're wearing yellow today." I had no idea boys called each other to coordinate wardrobes, but they do. So Alec went upstairs and changed into this yellowish sweatshirt, which by the way I've been trying to get him to wear because it'll keep him warm, but he never would. But I did anyway. I, of course, mentioned how I had asked him many times to wear that sweatshirt, but he never did, then one phone call from a buddy, and boom he puts it on.
I couldn't stop myself from going into lecture mode. I said here I was, his mother who loves him more than anyone, dedicates my life to him and he doesn't do what I ask. But obediently does as his friend asks who he's known a couple of years.
I said this just proves he really needs my supervision more than ever since he so quickly gives in to his friend's wishes, yet consistently ignores mine.
I'm just scared, because now I don't know what he's doing all the time like I did when he was home with me. I see him liking music that gives me a headache and watching shows that seem too old for him.
This whole free agency concept is a tough one for me now. I know he has to make his own decisions, it's just so hard. I know I have bigger, tougher battles ahead of me and I don't look forward to them.
My mom once told me that no matter how old your kids get, you still see them as your babies. And I'm realizing, painfully, how true that is.


11 comments:
Oh, I am so with you one this one, I fear the same things. Like you I know they have their agency, but I sure don't like that I can't be in control. :-)
It is such a hard thing to back away and let them have some freedom. I have to remind myself, that the whole point of mothering, is to get them to a place where they are independent, productive adults. The hardest part of that is standing back and watching them make decisions that are sometimes good, and sometimes bad.
It must be an odd day for me (see latest post) because you have me crying just a bit. I think it's also because I know I'll have a big kid one day and I want them to just stay sweet and little...
oh my gosh, tracy. i am only beginning to feel this and it is so scary. you just pray that they'll find good friends and survive until adulthood. i won't complain about babies waking me up at night again. at least i know what they're listening to, what they're wearing, and where they are!
and those pictures are just so adorable. alec still looks like your baby, just with hair. :)
I remember having the thought one day about Eli getting married and maybe to a girl that didn't like me! I nearly started to bawl!! I enjoy my sweet little boy so much that the thought of him growing up pains me some days! I totally understand how you feel!
Your pictures are really cute, too! I love the one of you sitting on the floor!!
I had no idea boys called each other to coordinate clothes either. That is kinda funny. I've been reading Christlike Parenting for RS bookclub and it's a pretty good book. Right now I'm at the part where he's talking about how you shouldn't kick your kids out of the house (I'm hoping that is never an issue I have to face!)I was hoping for a little more about how not to mess your kids up for life when they're driving you insane but I guess I'll try and keep things in perspective and enjoy these young years!
Christina, your comment made me laugh and say "aww" at the same time.
Yikes. I am waiting in fear for those teenage days, and I'm sorry you're already dealing with the peer-pressure thing. Those pics are all so cute tho!! Don't you wish we could shrink them??
Oh, you scare me SO often with your posts. Can't they just stay little forever???
As the mum of a nearly 15 year old I sympathise, I hate it. Freyja looks at me sometimes like i am a complete moron..... on the other hand it is nice when they make a good choice without your input. I can see the kind of women she is growing into and I have to say I like who she is.
The rare times when the little Freyja shows her face and needs mum it's extra special
First off your pictures are so cute. I am scared to let Logan grow up too but man I guess we all have to. Being a mom is a crazy thing uh!
Did you throw down the "I went through -- hours of labor for you," too? Too funny. The yellow shirt gang. What's next...we're all getting tatoos on our arms? Hang in there, girl.
Post a Comment