Today I had a job at the courthouse in Rockville. As I was walking down the sidewalk to get to my car I saw two young men with white shirts, ties and name tags walking towards me. I got all excited to see two missionaries in a place I wasn't expecting to see anyone I knew. Granted, I didn't personally know them, but because we have the church in common I stopped and talked to them like we were old friends. One was from Ohio and the other was from California (my home state) and had relatives in the same city I have relatives. It was fun chatting with them and telling them how young they looked, and I remember when I was younger how missionaries used to look so old. That just shows I'm old now, I guess. This encounter made me realize once again, how great it is that having our religion in common makes instant friends out of strangers. And I hope that when my Alec is on his mission, people are nice to him when he's in a foreign place or I'll be tempted to hop a plane and check on him.
Here is Chris and his mom at the airport as Chris was leaving for his mission.
6 comments:
I get so nervous about Alex's mission. I hear you on this one. I also love having the church in common.
I cried at a mission farewell, when Nic was 6 weeks old. I told James I couldn't stand to send my son in 19 years. Maybe a little after pregnancy hormones.
Oh wow! Alec looks just like his daddy!
Chris looks just the same! I love the look on his mom's face (:
I'm sure they will treat Alec great because he is just so easy to get along with! You have great kids!
Alec will be great--he has his dad's ability to make friends wherever he goes :)
The universality of our church is one reason why I feel comfortable being so far away from the family I was born to--I have family everywhere I go in the Gospel.
Wow! Charilla looks so young. O ya Chris too.
Post a Comment