Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Cheers & Jeers of Standby

On Friday we headed out to start our trip to Walt Disney World. Unfortunately, because American Airlines cancelled a ton of flights, the flights that had lots of seats available, suddenly had none. So we decided to get to the airport for the first flight at 6:00 a.m. and try every flight until we got to Orlando.
The first flight was full, so we didn't get on. The second flight we tried to get on was an hour later and we all managed to get seats, but this flight was to Charleston. We were one step closer to Orlando.

The flights in Charleston were all packed too, but two seats were open on the first flight we tried to get on, so Selena & I headed off to Orlando while Chris, Alec & Sophia waited until the next flight. I felt very lucky that they did get on the next flight, so Selena and I only had to wait a couple hours for them to join us in Orlando. Selena & I hung out at the airport while she ran around and talked to men who were trying to work on their laptops.

She mentioned she was hungry and one man pulled out Twizzlers, Cheese & Crackers, & Granola Bars for her. Then she mentioned she was thirsty, and he went to buy her a bottle of water from the gift shop. He was very, very sweet to her, but now she thinks if you just ask for something, a man automatically jumps up and takes care of you.

We were finally all together in Florida by 2:00 in the afternoon. So even though it is more stressful going standby and you don't always get to sit together, it was free, so I won't complain.

I didn't think we'd do much today, but I should know not to underestimate Chris. After checking into our room and eating, we headed off to the Hollywood Studios Park at 5:00. We saw The Little Mermaid Show and Fantasmic. We could have left after we saw those as far as Selena was concerned. After each one she said, "That was the best show ever!" Her face beamed when she watched her favorite characters come to life. Man, I sound like a Disney commercial.

Alec & Chris rode the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster. And the ride I regret that the whole family went on was The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror. I should have known by the name, but people we asked said it wasn't that bad. So, yes, Sophia & Selena went on it, and let's just say they pretty much hated it. Selena said, "I didn't like that. That scared me." Sophia said (through lots of tears) "My butt came off my seat!" I had to buy her an $8 cheeseburger to calm her down.
But she did enjoy Star Tours, which I wouldn't go on because I get motion sickness. I also love that Selena is very tall for her age and can go on all the rides.

After a bath in the jacuzzi tub, the kids fell asleep instantly. Chris went to Wal Mart to buy food so we can make breakfast. We're in a timeshare with a kitchen, which is very nice. It also has a washer and dryer in the bathroom -- love that too. We're just getting started and can't wait to see all of the parks.


The girls fell asleep on the 5 minute ride back to our room.

13 comments:

supersonicjan said...

take me next time! i'll be your "nanny"

Christie said...

wow, what a wonderful day!! So busy! I hope you're trip continues to go well.

Mendy said...

You took your four year-old on the Tower or Terror? I'm calling Social Services. Selena's gonna need to see Miss Carolyn again. Poor little angel. And I can only imagine Sophia's waterworks!

How come you didn't do the Rock'n Roller Coaster? You really need to do that, Trace! It's awesome. I went on by myself but made friends with some very nice British people.

I am glad you are having the time of your lives. I can't wait to see the photos from the Princess meal. Where are they?

the design boss said...

How fun!! I love when little ones are so fasinated and the entertainment! What a cutie! Have fun!

Amber said...

Fun Fun TImes!! I am so glad you are making great memories! You tell Sophia and Salena I am just so impressed that they went on Tower of Terror even if they hated it that is impressive. What brave little girls. SO fun. Enjoy every minute wish we were there too!

Cynthia said...

Missing you all, but so glad you are having fun. As far as the last pic, could there be a sweeter big brother? :)

whitney allison said...

I agree with Mendy on the Rock'n Roller Coaster, it's awesome. I think it's one of my favorite rides ever and it's been 8 years since I rode it.

Cami said...

Tracy! Did you NOT see the picture of my husband on The Tower of Terror??? If that kind of terror can be brought about in a full-grown man . . . Anyway, now they have a claim to fame, and I bet they weren't as scared as Jake.

It sounds like an adventure on the planes! But it also sounds like you did great. If that had been my family, there would have been a point in the airports where I was looking for a gun or rope or something to put us out of our misery!

~ Amy said...

You said, "but now she thinks if you just ask for something, a man automatically jumps up and takes care of you."

I say, "what's wrong with that?"

Looks like tons of fun!

Jenni said...

Glad you are having a fun time!! You did a lot on your first day!! Hope it continues to be awesome!!:)

Meg said...

Wow, you guys are having all the fun! That picture of the kids in the bathroom (really cool bathroom!)made me think of when we got to our cruddy hotel in Pittsburgh and Jaide went in the bathroom and yelled out all happy like, "we got a hair dryer!"

Scarlett said...

So my question is, What are you going to do this summer? hahahaa....what am I talking about, I wish I was out there getting an early start to summer vacation and riding around like a maniac having fun. The girls have done way more than I am capable of doing, I'm too much of a scardy cat. well, continue having fun, have some fun for me too please!

love your pics.

Kellie said...

I love Alec in the tub. Classic. I'm so glad you're all having so much fun! It sounds like all the standing by was more than worth it!