Saturday, December 1, 2007

Oh Christmas Tree

When I was growing up, I always looked forward to getting our Christmas tree out of its box and together with my siblings, sticking the branches in the metal pole until it became our perfect tree. I thought that's what everyone did. There was a comfort to me that every year I could see our tree, which looked the same every year with the big colorful balls and our lighted star at the top. (I look every year for a star like we had) We had the same nativity set that my mom put under the tree year after year.
Then I married Chris who looked at me like I was an alien when I mentioned buying our own Christmas tree in a box. Apparently Chris had a different family tradition of going out and buying a real Christmas tree every year. He made it perfectly clear we would never have a fake tree in our home. I made it perfectly clear I did not enjoy going out in the cold looking for anything. Well, guess whose family tradition we've adopted?
The children really love going out to find our tree. The girls wanted the cute little ones that were their height.

When we got home, we started the task of decorating not only our tree, but the house. One thing I have purchased over the years are Christmas motion dolls. The kids love seeing their Santa who snores to the tune of Jingle Bells, Mrs. Claus who rocks and knits, Santa with friends, Linus who sits by a fireplace with his blanket while he sucks his thumb, and Santa in his lighted sleigh and his reindeer. It's now beginning to feel a lot like Christmas.

8 comments:

Mendy said...

Yeah! Christmas is coming! I will send Mackenna right over to make sure your tree is kid-proof. You're welcome.

Jenni said...

My parents have a snoring Santa too! The kids love it! I bet your tree smells so good! I love real trees, but sadly I'm allergic so it's the non-lovely-smelling box tree for us!:(

The Spiveys said...

We had a real tree every year when I was a kid but now we have a fake one at our house. The fake ones are way easier, I must admit. I even prefer it now!

Meg said...

I've never had a real tree ever. We like having the tree up for as long as we feel like it. But real does smell good. We had a few real wreathes and sprays a couple of years and got the smell with a smaller mess.

Jann said...

I just love Christmas time. Your tree looks great. It is fun to have a decoration you add to each year. For us, it is advent calendars.

Scarlett said...

OH I wish I was done decorating! Hey, come on over, I'll help you redo your bedroom if you help me w/my decorations! :) I am a family traditions fanatic! I love that you've started a new one in your family and this will be something that will be passed down to the kiddies and their families! Just make sure you water that bad boy! hugs.

Kellie said...

Eric and are the opposite-his mom just kept her trees all decorated in giant plastic bags in the basement, and we woke up at dawn and went into the wilderness to chop our own. Now we compromise by driving 30 minutes to a farm to get a fresh one. Fun memories. And I love the motion dolls. My kids would love to come see your collection.

Corinne said...

You're a great wife - what fun traditions!