As I see all these fancy cookies and candy that people make for friends (which I totally enjoy) I wonder if I'm the only one that doesn't have the baking gene. Mendy told me how easy it is to bake and even gave me a recipe for chocolate chip cookies. So I attempted to make them. I followed her directions. Then as I let my husband and son taste them, they barely ate one -- and that's it. Apparently I screwed it up somehow. I then took the cookies to Mendy who said, "You didn't measure right."
I have friends that say it's therapeutic for them to bake, but it's not for me. Personally, ordering clothes over the internet cheers me up. I wish I could spend all day creating these amazing desserts, but I know they wouldn't turn into anything I could give away.
My mother was a great cook. She'd make the best tortillas from scratch, as well as main dishes and desserts. I wish I got that trait from her, but it went to my sisters instead.
In the meantime, Costco cookies, cheesecakes, brownie bites and other various desserts save me when I have to deliver treats, which I have yet to do this year. But maybe one of these years I'll try to make something homemade instead of just rewrapping it on my own plate and covering it with Seranwrap.
This week besides eating every one's yummy treats, we also had a visit from Santa who rode through our neighborhood handing out candy canes. The children look forward to this every year. 
9 comments:
What is this about Santa driving around the neighborhood? Humm, that sounds interesting. Maybe you should come over for some baking 101, I would be happy to work with you. :-) And the mess will be at my house.
I'm with ya Tracy, I am VERY willing to receive but not so willing to bake and give ????
Is that what that whole fire-engine thing was about? I questioned the sanity of the people around here, but guess I missed out...Thanks for the explanation.
I do love to bake but not so much cookies. I just don't feel they are my best work. I do love them, though! Brownie bites are delicious!
I love making home made tortillas! They are one of my most favorite things ever. I still haven't found a recipe I am totally happy with yet. If you know of one, send it my way!
that santa drove by last night and threw candy canes at all the kids except ours! no wonder my boys don't like him. :)
but i totally sympathize with the non-baking gene. i have it too. my sister got all the baking skills in our family.
Oh, I'm sorry you have a hard time with cookies. I don't know what I would do if I couldn't whip up a batch. But I'm pretty sure I worked on cookies for a good year in high school before I got them right. If it makes you feel better, my sister who went to pastry school still messes up recipes all the time. So you're not alone!!
Mmm... Costco brownie bites!:) Don't feel bad at all about your lack of love for baking - we all have our likes and dislikes. But also, really you shouldn't judge your baking ability by first attempts - the first batch of anything doesn't count.:) I screw up baked treats constantly, but always buy enough ingredients for multiple batches!:)
The "long" way, that's so funny :) And we totally love Costco treats at our house!
Awww, Tracy. No worries. I have yet to conquer the chocolate chip cookie. To me, that's the hardest one. As for Santa on the firetruck, we love to see him every year, but it sure would be nice if he came just a bit earlier...William awoke to sirens just as I thought my nightly "me" time had begun. :)
Post a Comment