He said, "No. This is way better than Bon Jovi."
Obviously the boy has never been to a concert and witnessed Jon Bon Jovi singing "I'll Be There For You" in the same microphone with Ritchie Sambora -- now there's a reason to get excited.
But back to the conference -- Alec and his friend had me sitting in the very front row as we listened to LaVell Edwards, Edwin Mulitalo, Burgess Owens, Lenny Moore, Andy Reid and of course Derrick Mason give motivational speeches about successes and failures in their careers, and keeping their faith through it all.
One player told how during his pro career, he would put a mini Bible in the padding of his right thigh to remind him of his Savior and his faith. He said how he's given mini Bibles to current NFL players who also put it in their padding as they play.
Well, when we were leaving the conference, they had Book of Mormons on a display table for anyone to take.
Alec's friend said, "Can I have one of these?" I told him of course and he could even have the DVDs that they had out.
He said now that he had this new Bible, he was going to put it in his pads when he played football just like the player had done.
Alec said, "You can't put that in your uniform. It's too big."
His friend said, "Well, it's smaller than my Bible at home."
I was cracking up. I explained to him that even though this Book of Mormon was considerably smaller than his big Bible, the man had a much smaller, mini Bible that he wore in his uniform. And it probably wouldn't be too comfortable trying to play football with a regular size Book of Mormon stuck in your pads. I told him if I saw mini Bibles, I'd make sure to get him one.
Lenny Moore, who is an NFL Hall of Famer that played for the Baltimore Colts, signed autographs and took pictures with anyone who asked.
The boys were beaming as we walked out. This night was supposed to be a daddy/son experience, but since Chris got called into work, I took Alec. And I'm glad I was able to see Alec's face light up as he saw people he admires in sports, and was able to listen to their positive messages of being able to be successful while always standing for what you believe in and never forgetting your Savior.
9 comments:
I think the military scriptures are about as small as they come. I can ask my darling husband if he has an extra if you want me to.
Nice Job, Mom! This sounds like it was a great experience for him and his friend. I know you can get mini Books of Mormon from This is the Place and ldscatalog.com
That is just awesome. Those boys look so happy.
This is great. I just love this! What a great experience for your son. Bon Jovi and Ritchie Sambora singing "I'll Be There For You" ... I got goosebumps thinking about it. Dreamy.
What a neat experience!!!
We came home early on Saturday so that Bob could go to this. That's cool that you got to go with Alec and get pictures.
What a great experience for Alec, I'm glad you were able to take him! Can''t wait to see you guys this summer!
Andy Reid was in our ward in Philly. Rob taught his sons in YM--they're in prison now. But he is a super nice guy.
That's awesome!! How fun.
Post a Comment