I had never heard of this event until we moved out here. I couldn't believe it. We actually were able to go on the White House lawn, our kids got to roll an egg in an egg race, paint Easter eggs, see their favorite TV characters like Clifford, Dora, Barney, Max & Ruby, and see performers like Hannah Montana in their own personal concert. And if you were in the first group, get to see the President and his family welcome you to their home.
Getting tickets was an adventure by itself. My friends looked forward to camping out all night long in front of the White House, freezing their little tails off while they played games, chatted, got interviewed by news reporters and knowing come 7:00 a.m., they'd have their tickets for the great event.
Now, I'm not going to tell you I would camp out in freezing weather to get tickets to any event (maybe for an evening with Mr. Firth or Mr. Crowe) that's what Chris is for. So he'd go with all our friends, sleeping on the sidewalk all night long to secure tickets for us.
The year he had to work and couldn't camp out, no problem. I called a strapping young male to go sleep on the sidewalk and get my tickets. That year it snowed, so it was totally worth the money I paid him. (To this day the amount is unknown to Chris)
Well, this year things changed. They decided to distribute tickets online. This means people who live far from DC and probably won't be buying last-minute plane tickets to fly out here, or people trying to make a profit, can get tickets, which takes tickets away from people who will actually go, because they live close by, and who aren't trying to make money, and showed their enthusiasm and dedication for this event by sitting out all night in the cold to be able to attend.
I am very grateful that we did get to attend as many times as we did. And I'm grateful that my kids are old enough to have memories of going to the White House at Easter time. I'm especially grateful to Chris for being willing to stay out all night to get us tickets. I'm just hoping that it goes back to the way it used to be, so he and our friends have more opportunities to freeze their buns off while getting tickets to a great family memory.

Our first Easter Egg Roll
7 comments:
I'm feeling your pain, sister :)
What a total bummer! Too bad that tickets are now only online. Bad. I have to admit that when I first saw your post title, I thought it said "Freezing Eggs," which due to my fertility issues, caught my eye big time! :)
I really wanted to go this year. I'm so sad that we don't even get a chance at it=( I love the photo!
We were really bummed when our Primary stopped our Easter egg hunt tradition on the little patch of grass next to the church parking lot. The White House makes our little loss look like peanuts. So glad you got a few visits in. What a memory!
i know! i couldn't believe the change to internet ticketing. it changes the whole feel of the event. too bad.
Man, I am so sad for everyone about this Easter Egg roll business. I have loved hearing your stories and living vicariously through you all. I hope something else that is fun will come up for your family.
I can't believe they changed it, what a joke! I hope it goes back to the old way too.
Post a Comment