Monday, March 23, 2009

Atlantic City Adventure


Growing up close to Vegas, my family would drive down the strip to look at all the casino lights. It was always the highlight of our trips driving through the desert from California to Utah, especially seeing the lit up waving cowboy.
So when Chris and I planned a trip to Atlantic City, I was envisioning a mini Las Vegas. I was a little wrong. It was smaller than I imagined and there were a lot of people walking around who were a little scary looking.
But once we were inside the hotels, it was very fun and entertaining. While walking around a casino, there was a fight between some macho men who got escorted out. Then it was unbelievable watching people bid $100 on one hand of 21 over and over again. When I'd see them winning, I wanted to scream at them to leave the table while they were ahead, but no one ever did.

We went to a comedy club that had some intoxicated people who wouldn't stop talking during the show. The comedian handled it really well. Telling them there were dozens of bars in the city they could go to and talk where there wasn't a comedian performing. They refused to hush, so as they got led out, the comedian had the crowd chant, "Na-na-na-na, hey, hey, goodbye."

We did manage to get out of the hotel though and walk on the boardwalk, see the beach, then get back inside where it was warmer to enjoy a buffet.
When we got home, the girls said they didn't want me to go away again. Alec said we could go away any time. I'm thinking we're going to have to go back to Atlantic City, because Reo Speedwagon is going to be playing there in a couple months.

8 comments:

supersonicjan said...

I'll see REO with you! I was always mad at myself for missing them when they came to Wendover, NV.

Mendy said...

I'm so excited for you that you and Chris got to go on a little getaway. Well, excited and a little jealous.

cechols said...

Glad to see you guys had fun! You know how much George and I used to hang out in Vegas...way before kids! We've even been the the Comedy Stop in Vegas! Was this for Chris's birthday?

Jann said...

What fun to have a little get away with you hubby. Atlantic City sounds a little scary, but I am glad you had a good time.

Brenda said...

I can't believe the people at the comedy show were escorted out! How funny!
My dad and mom used to take us to Vegas just for fun. One time they showed us why we shouldn't gamble, so my dad put in some money thinking he would loose, but he actually won! (:

Christie said...

You need to go when it is warm. What a great get away! Looks like a fun time.

dilettante said...

It's funny that you mentioned the lights in Vegas. On our family vacation this summer, we are driving to Utah and then down to Barstow. I told Dean that we HAVE to drive through Vegas at night so the kids can see the lights, otherwise, what's the point?

Corinne said...

What an adventure! Seriously, that's fantastic.