Saturday, February 14, 2009

Family Valentine's Day

This week I had to work a lot, so it was nice when the weekend came. Since Chris was on-call for Valentine's Day, we went out on Friday night. We tried a restaurant we'd never been to before, DuClaw, which had great food, then finally agreed on a movie. It was a tough decision, because the choices were a total chick flick, that would put Chris to sleep, or a slasher film that I'd have to close my eyes all the way through. We decided on a slightly suspenseful film that I could handle watching and could hold Chris' interest.

This morning Sophia made heart cards for everyone. She wrote a poem for me that said, "Roses are red. Violets are blue. Cheesecake is sweet, but not as sweet as you." She's such a sweetheart!

Chris never got called into work, so we took the kids out shopping. We went to furniture stores to look at beds for the kids. Selena found a bed with a canopy and asked us how we were going to get it home. She wasn't thrilled when we told her we weren't taking it home that day.

Then we all went out for a romantic Valentine dinner for five at our favorite Mexican restaurant. During dinner, Alec lost a tooth and I had to keep reminding him that while we were eating, it wasn't enjoyable to look at the gaping, bloody hole in his mouth that he kept showing us.

After dinner we headed off to find some snowsuits, since we're planning a trip to the snow next week. While we're all in our different sections looking for clothes, Selena kept grabbing shirts off the rack. I told her she needed to stop getting so many clothes. She looked at me and with a very serious face and said, "Mom, I'm a girl. Girls always get lots of clothes." Oh, man. I've created a monster. She's only five and already isn't satisfied with her wardrobe. I guess I can't blame Chris for this trait.

We had a successful shopping trip -- snowsuits for everyone, well, except for Chris. He was a little too big for any of them. Selena did not get to keep her ten shirts she picked out, but did get a cute coat and dress.

It was a fun Valentine's Day that included shopping, food, kids and new perfume, so now I can smell as sweet as cheesecake.

10 comments:

Meg said...

That is too funny about shopping with your girls! We also had a family valentines day and it also involved shopping too. But that's what I really wanted to do.

Christie said...

Oooh good V day! Lucky you. Salena is hilarious! She will be a great shopping buddy for you... oh the destruction. :-) Where are you guys headed?

WilliamsFamily said...

Happy Valentine's Day to the Oberings!

Diana said...

Perfect Valentine's Day! Shopping with the fam!

Jenni said...

Sounds like a fun fun Valentines day! I love the poem from Sophia! None of my kids are shoppers yet - maybe someday I'll be able to take happy shopping trips with my girls like you!!:)

Corinne said...

I cannot imagine actually going clothes shopping as a family. You've trained them well :)

Heidi said...

Losing teeth for Valentine's Day must have been the thing to do this year. My daughter lost one, and so did three of her friends! What a coincidence.

Cami said...

That sounds like a LOVELY V-day, and so much better than our crazy get-house-ready one.

Amber said...

Your kids are adorable. I miss you guys it feels like it has been forever.

Jann said...

Sounds like you had some great fun.