Wednesday, December 17, 2008

You're So Vain

In keeping with the song theme, I was reminded of the Carly Simon song "You're So Vain" as I had the following experience with Mendy:
Mendy: Let me take our picture together. (Holds the camera out in front of us)
Tracy: No, wait. You're too close. Our faces will look fat. (As I'm speaking, she snaps the picture)

Mendy: Ha! Look at your face! (Her digital camera shows a picture of her looking pretty with a perfect smile. My face is distorted, looking stressed, mouth open as I was in the middle of speaking)

Tracy: You have to delete that!

Mendy: No, way. I think I'll post it on Facebook and my blog. (Does her evil laugh)

Tracy: Don't you dare! You delete it now!

Mendy: No. Just let me have one picture where I look better than you. (evil laugh again)

As Mendy is looking down at her camera, contemplating how many places she can post this unflattering picture of me, Chris snaps a picture of her with my camera. Let's just say the photo of her broke her one-chin rule when appearing in photos.

Tracy: Oh, look at the picture Chris took of you. Oh, look what happens when I zoom in on you. (She observes that I now have an unflattering shot of her)

Mendy: Oh, !@*#%^! Okay, I'll delete your picture and you delete mine. (We both put our fingers on our delete buttons)

Mendy & Tracy: 1, 2, 3, delete. (We both push delete with great relief)

Then Mendy takes another shot of us, which we both approve of for postings.
There are so few things we have control of in life, but having a bad picture posted of us, shouldn't be one of them.
I'm sure Mendy might have a different version of the events, but that's how I remember it happening. Oh, yes, this all took place at our church Christmas party, so I guess I'll post some pictures of the children now -- who always manage to take great photos.

Alec played Joseph in the program. Sophia was a shepherd. Selena was an ox.

12 comments:

Mendy said...

Because I love Carly Simon and purchased a new karaoke CD of her music to try the New Year's, I will not take offense to your post's title. Well, that and the hilarious idea of me being more vain than you. Tee hee.

That is pretty much how I remember the events surrounding the deleted photos. Except you forgot the part where we were both giggling like 7th grade girls while we hit "delete."

I sure am lucky to have a friend in you. Now, get out of here so you can hurry back in time to entertain me on my birthday.

Christie said...

I want to know what swear word Mendy said in the stake center?!?!?! LOL!! You gals are too cute!

Mendy said...

Christie, for the record, I didn't actually swear. I probably said, "Oh, crap!" but writing @%^*$ looks better to Tracy.

Jenni said...

That was too funny!! I'm amazed by the swear word though like Christie!! You must tell us just what she let slip out!! That is a very cute picture of you both!!

Amber said...

I asked Mendy to take a picture of me and my sister Amy on Sunday. She had enough vanity on my behalf that she insisted on taking the photo on the side of my face without the gigantic pimple on my cheek. Sometimes vanity pays off!!!!

Corinne said...

I LOVE YOU GIRLS!! I can hear that entire conversation in my head as I read it. So funny!

~ Amy said...

Thanks for the really, really good laugh. You guys are awesome.

supersonicjan said...

So this reminds me of that picture of your daughters from the tea... except they didn't care how they looked.

whitney allison said...

No one likes a bad picture of themselves, no one. It's just not nice. Last night I had a bunch of terrible pictures taken of me, I feel both of your pain.

Deb said...

that cracks me up! i can't believe mendy would swear over something like this. shocking. :) have a good trip!

Jann said...

This post made me laugh so hard. You are both very funny.

Heidi said...

Somehow I can't imagine Mendy saying "!@*#%^" Hee, hee!