Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Middle School Madness

I was very nervous about Alec starting middle school -- him being mixed in with 7th and 8th graders did not thrill me. I worried about evil kids influencing my sweet boy, and loose little girls trying to corrupt him. Well, seems like my worrying was justified.
We have only finished one quarter of school and I've had enough drama for all of his school years.

Leaving out the gory details, Chris and I had to meet with a counselor at 7:30 in the morning the other week because of a bad decision Alec had made. I went in with my sweats, sweat shirt, no makeup, and looking just lovely. Alec said, "Are you going like that?" I told him if I had to go in, that's how I would look, all natural. I was not getting up that early to put on makeup and do my hair for a bunch of middle school kids. He understands that if there's any more incidents at school, I will join him in his classes with a look that will scare his classmates and teachers, so he better behave. I mean, my own father told me, "You're just one of those girls who need makeup," so I know I look scary when I try the natural look.

Then there's the whole hormone thing starting. There are already girls calling the house for him. He's 11 years old! There's no way I can sit there and listen to him chat with girls already. I've kind of put a stop to it, which didn't exactly make him happy.

The latest bit of drama we had was a girl at his school started a fire in the bathroom, so the whole school got evacuated and sent home early. They're charging this girl with arson. I feel so badly for her parents and can imagine the pain they're going through.

I've always said I could never home school, and honestly I can't. His homework is so hard, that I know I could never teach him all he needs to know, but it would be nice to keep him from all the mayhem that goes on in middle school. I just hope I can get through these years without having to take special pills to keep me sane -- right now my Excedrin and weekend dates help a lot. I just hope the rest of the school year is uneventful, but I doubt it.

7 comments:

Jenni said...

Okay you are scaring me because I'm not far from this with Sophie, but really I think middle school is probably the hardest time in adolescence. (Well unless you move your child in high school!;)) So have lots of hope that things will get better - I'm sure the transition is the hardest... And BTW Tracy you are gorgeous all the time!!

Christie said...

Oh dear Tracy, you put the fear in me. Maybe I do want to move to a small town.. slow things down a bit. :-) I love your threat though. :-) too funny

Chris McCoy said...

your dad told you that?!?!?! I find that hard to believe

CMc

Corinne said...

You are so funny. I love chatting with you about this issue - I'm keeping close watch on how this all goes to prepare myself :)

BTW, Sheely could NOT stop talking about the fire at the middle school.

Deb said...

wow, i hadn't heard about the fire. fun, fun. and i can't believe alec was really concerned you'd go to school without makeup on! what a threat. at least it's an easy one to carry out. :)

Heidi said...

Wow! I can't wait for my girls to get to middle school!

I love how you went to school in sweats and no makeup! What a good way to make Alec really not want to have to have his mom come to school again! (I'm sure you're not as scary as you think, though.)

Maybe next time you could threaten to come in dressed like Pippi Longstocking or something!

Good luck.

Mendy said...

You know I am already scared to send my sweet, innocent, naive girl to middle school. Why do you insist on terrifying me even more?