Now that I'm in my own home, I no longer have that magic kitchen. These wonderful meals don't appear unless I prepare something. And honestly, they're never as yummy as they were when I was a child. And if I go to bed with dishes in the sink, I wake up and they're still there, not miraculously cleaned up.
I woke up today after my Sunday nap and walked downstairs to the kitchen. All the lunch and breakfast dishes were still there waiting for me. That made me think of my mom and how she was the reason my childhood kitchen was magic. It seemed like she was always in the kitchen, always wearing her apron, creating something yummy or cleaning up after her latest creation. She did this for six children, without a microwave and often without a dishwasher.
Even though she can no longer do the things she was once so incredible at, I love the memories I have of her and will always be grateful for the kind of mother she is.

This picture is taken at her birthday when my sister Laura gave her a puppy. Shortly after this she had her stroke. If you look, you can see she's wearing her apron -- ready to cook or clean something. What a great mom.
8 comments:
Awww, what sweet memories. When ever my kids get up and notice that the kitchen is a mess I tell them that "the kitchen fairy must have missed our house last night." I hate it when she does that, it makes me grouchy in the morning. :-)
That is a great post! I remember coming home from school on cold days and being able to smell the spaghetti sauce my mom was making in the air...it was and is my favorite!
I too wish I had a magic kitchen. I always say that dishes are like your best friend...they always wait for you.
Why do you always try to make me cry? I know, I often think it would be nice to have a little fairy that cleans up my messes; then, I realize that I am the fairy in this house. C'est la vie.
Your mother's kitchen sounds so warm and wonderful!! What amazing memories! You made me want to make a magic kitchen for my kids! (Though our magic dish fairy is actually Adrian - I cook and he does the dishes. That's fair right?!:)
I so want to meet your sweet mom. What wonderful memories. Your kids will have their own special memories of your unique and perfect-for-your-family way of making a home. And yes, I think you're right about Eric popping me in the nose while sleeping. He won't own up to it though.
I want a magic kitchen too. What great memories of your mom.
I love sweet childhood memories and there are times that I wish I could go back. I wish my kitchen was magical for my sake and the kids!
ah yes, i too miss the magic kitchen. sometimes, i still wonder why there are dishes on the table - and then i realize no one's going to put them away unless i do. :)
Post a Comment