Monday, October 20, 2008

20 Years

This past weekend was my 20-year high school reunion. It was in California, so it would've been nice to attend just for some warmer weather. But because it was during school for the kids and not during a vacation for any of us, I did not attend.
My good friend who lives just a couple hours from where the reunion was taking place was very reluctant to go. But I told her she had to go so she could tell me about the people who were there and take pictures. So she begrudgingly went. She said it was more fun than she thought, but the evening was ruined when she discovered her truck was stolen, which had all her clothes and her laptop in it. She of course thanked me for urging her to go. (Sorry, Connie) She'll always remember this reunion, unfortunately not all good memories though.
I have been looking at pictures that have been posted on Facebook of the reunion and was shocked at how drastically some people have changed. If their names wouldn't have been listed, I wouldn't have recognized them. I don't think I've changed that much. But then again, it has been 20 years, so to people who haven't seen me in that long, I probably have changed. Seeing those pictures made me realize the top of the hill isn't that far away.
One class member posted an old high school newsletter for our Senior class that had dedications to friends. It was so funny to see the love dedications between couples who are no longer together. I even had a dedication in there to an old boyfriend. Apparently we were fighting, because it wasn't very nice.
If they have a 25-year reunion, hopefully I'll get to go. But I doubt I'll go to a 30th, because I know I will look different by then.
I found a couple pictures from my graduation night back in 1988. The above picture is with my dad. And the bottom one is with my brother George. I can't believe what huge earrings I wore. I guess I needed big earrings to go with my big hair.

10 comments:

Mendy said...

Like you didn't wear those earrings yesterday! They totally go with those acid-washed jeans you love so much.

First of all, you WILL go to the next reunion no matter now different you look. You are gorgeous! I will personally kidnap your kids and zip you into a suitcase and throw you on a plane myself. Go and have fun! Poor Connie needs you to be with her while she is assessing how everyone looks. Think of your friend!

Christie said...

Fun cute pictures. Sorry you missed the reunion. I always want to go and see what everyone looks like now. Face book is handy for that kind of thing too.

Jann said...

That is so sad your friend had her truck stolen. I love the pictures of you with your dad and brother. Fun times.

Heidi said...

How fun to see what you looked like as a teenager! Minus the big hair and earrings, you haven't changed a bit! :)

cechols said...

Yes, I'm sure if you had been there, Connie's truck would not have been stolen! Don't worry, she is getting her world back together! She did comment that some things haven't changed since high school! -- We forget just how young everyone was back then...George's hair isn't speckled with gray!

Diana said...

Love the '80s hair and earrings. Your friend is right, though. If you take away those things, you look the same!

whitney allison said...

Wow, that's crazy to think about. People sure do change over time. I sure hope I have.

Jenni said...

Great pics!! So sad you didn't get to go and see all the changes for yourself! What a horrible thing that your friends car was stolen! I totally think you should go to your 30 year - you are gorgeous and always will be!!:)

Deb said...

happy 20th! mine is coming up soon. why did they have it in october? summer would have been more convenient. i hope you and connie will still be friends after this incident. :)

Chris McCoy said...

Actually it wasn't very nice, and yes we were fighting :)

And no, you really have not changed that much at all... I, on the other hand, had significantly more hair :)