Yesterday I heard a strange noise coming from the basement. I told Chris about it and after his investigation, he discovered our water heater was leaking. He proceeded to empty out the storage area where the water heater is and informed me that he shut off our hot water. "For how long?" I asked him, thinking just until morning so I could take my shower before church. "Until we get it fixed," was his reply. Not what I wanted to hear.
So I woke up after 7:00 this morning and tried to call Mendy to let her know I'm coming by to use her shower. She didn't answer, but that didn't stop me. I grabbed my towel, razor, shaving cream (my legs were in need of attention) and headed out the door.
I knocked on her door but there was no sound, which was very bizarre because her house usually sounds like a zoo early every morning (no offense). So I let myself in and it was obvious no one was awake. I creeped over to the stairs and saw Marlee sitting at the top. She looked at me and waved like there was nothing out of the ordinary about my being there. I told her I was taking a shower and if her mom woke up, to tell her. I didn't want Mendy waking up and thinking an ax murderer was using her shower.
But by the time I got downstairs and before I got in the shower, Mendy came down and said, "Oh, I'm so glad you came -- we slept in." So I was her wake up call, I guess.
I told Chris to stay home and fix, buy or do whatever he had to do to get hot water back. I didn't want to have to keep dropping by neighbors' homes with a towel and jumping into their showers. Chris toughed it out and took a very cold shower rather than bother friends -- it was his quickest shower ever.
Thankfully, he took care of it and we are the proud owners of a brand new GE water heater, which will be delivered some time tomorrow. Lesson learned -- I will never take my hot showers for granted again. And if you give me a key to your home, I'll take it as an open invitation to shower there.
Sunday, August 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Mi shower es tu shower. How's that for great Spanglish? Anytime, my friend. And thankfully you came or else we would have been late to church!
I hate problems with water. I am glad you caught it before you had a flood in your basement.
I love that Marlee just waved calmly. That is a true friend. And you can shower over here anytime.
Ha! I love that you just let yourself in while they were sleeping!! You guys have a great friendship!! Glad your new water heater is coming today!:)
Sorry to hear about the water heater, but so nice to know you have many places to go if you need a shower (including mine :D).
Marlee is pretty funny. Way to take matters into your own hands.
ha ha! this makes me laugh so hard! sneaking into hunters' house for a shower. i'm glad you got it fixed.
Awesome! Jann and her kids came and showered at my house when they had issues too. That's what friends are for.
I love how gentle Edward always is, even how he says Hello.
I am laughing out loud!
Post a Comment