Saturday, June 20, 2009

The "Weigh" It Is

It's that time of year again when I can no longer hide behind sweaters, coats and jeans. I can no longer where long-sleeved shirts to hide my arms or support pantyhose to suck everything in. The weather is too warm for that. So like every year around this time, I start exercising knowing I can't hide behind my wardrobe for a season. Once I dust off the treadmill and start using it again, I always wish I had started earlier. But I've been very good at working out lately, watching what I eat (except on movie nights. You have to have treats at the movies) And I've noticed my clothes are fitting less snug, which helps me stay motivated.

But there's something very frustrating that happens when I start to weigh myself -- the pounds come off soooo slowly. I know I shouldn't weigh myself every day, but I can't stop myself. This wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that Chris weighs himself all the time too, only his results are much different.

When he decides to lose weight, do you think he's on the treadmill? No, he doesn't exercise at all. He just drinks Diet Pepsi in place of a few meals and then announces, "Oh, look, I've lost 5 lbs."
Where if I want to lose 5 lbs, it's after weeks of massively cutting down on calories and being diligent about working out six days a week. I even attempted to do yoga for the first time and it didn't end well. I tweaked a muscle in my back from trying to make my body do things it obviously didn't want to do and was so sore. But I did get a massage to relieve my aches, so I guess it was worth it.
Enough talk about how men just have to basically go to the bathroom to lose weight while women struggle for every ounce.

A more fun topic is my day today. I went to the mall to try to buy Chris a Father's Day gift, but like usual when trying to buy him a gift, I had little luck. He says he needs nothing and wants nothing, which is frustrating when I know I have to get him something. But in my frustration, I did come upon a cute pair of strappy heels, which I bought so my shopping trip wasn't a total loss.

After a torrential downpour of rain in the morning, the sun came out and we headed to the pool for a beginning of summer party. The kids danced, ate burgers and cupcakes, had water balloon tosses, hula-hooped and swam until they were exhausted.



Dancing in the Conga line!

Then Chris and I went to dinner with friends at Red, Hot & Blue where they showed us all the fancy things their iPhone does. Chris knew what I was thinking and said no, I couldn't buy him one. (sigh)
After a yummy, calorie filled dinner we headed off to a goodbye party for our friend Christie. I'm going to miss her and am so sad how friends keep moving away. She was a great shopping partner.
I thought our evening was over, but Chris decided he wanted to see a manly movie and went with a friend to a late-night show, which was fine since last night I had a night out with the girls and saw The Proposal. It was a great movie that had lots of laughs, including a hilarious lap dance and Ryan Reynolds' amazing abs!

5 comments:

Jenni said...

I'm sorry about the hard search for a Father's Day present - Adrian is so hard to shop for too. I saw The Proposal too! So funny! Oh my goodness I'll never look at Oscar from the Office in the same way!:)

Deb said...

oh i completely forgot christie's party last night! whoops... but good for you on the exercising. i'm trying to get better about it myself. since i'll have to get up even earlier in the fall, 6:30 doesn't sound so bad now. :)

Christie said...

Oh, I am so glad that you stopped by last night. It was great. We went and saw the late show of the proposal last night, since I missed Friday. It was SO funny. I loved it. Keep up the good work w/ the exercise... It ticks me off that men loose weight so fast too!

Kellie said...

That does sound like a fun day. It is always good to see you and it's been more than usual lately, which makes me happy.

Heidi said...

Yes, the whole weight loss thing is so unfair! I think about food 24/7, and it seems that Steve can eat whatever he wants--even when what he wants is always junk!

Aaargh!