This week is American Education Week and parents are invited to go into schools to observe their children. So since Chris and I had the day off, we decided to go visit all the kids at school and had very different experiences.
First we headed off to middle school. As we walked in, I saw Alec walking to his locker and hurried over to him. He turned around and I wish I had a picture of his face when he saw me. It was shock, disbelief and yes, even a little horror. He looked around, making sure none of his friends were watching and asked why we were there. It was his lunch time and I said we came to eat with him. He said he didn't want to stay and couldn't we just go out to eat. I really wanted to eat with his friends, but Chris was more sympathetic and agreed we'd go out for lunch. So instead of observing any of his classes, we just ate at Taco Bell and drove him back to school. He pleaded with us not to walk him back into the school, so I just walked him to the door and watched him disappear into a pool of pre-teens. I realize this is the age where I'm an embarrassment to my little boy, but I can't wait for this stage to end.
Next we went to the elementary school and had a very different reaction when Selena saw us. She smiled, waved and gave us hugs and kisses. She didn't want us to leave and told us she wanted us to come back again another day. Even all of her friends loved us being in the class.
Then we went to see Sophia who was in art class. She was polite to us, but not overly affectionate. She showed us her work, then quickly said goodbye as she ran off to recess.
The kids are at very different stages in their lives and as a result, treat us very different in front of their friends. But the good thing is that when we're home, they're all much more loving and not embarrassed to be around us.
The day was great, because not only did Chris and I spend the day visiting our kids and grocery shopping together, but he also helped me and my girlfriends buy Bon Jovi tickets. And yes, we got great seats and are going in March!
Monday, November 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I am not looking forward to the teen years....I am scared. Looks like you handle it well. You are such a good mom.
Oh, how funny. I love Alec's reaction! :-P too funny. Congrats on the Bon Jovi tickets!!! Glad you scored some. See you Thursday!
the joys of middle school. yikes. i keep telling the boys to stop growing up but no one's listening to me.
awe:) selina is so sweet:) I didn't know about education week, it would be fun to sneak a peak of school life:) -maybe even find where all those lost gloves live!
Jealous of Bon Jovi. He doesn't come here, apparently. I'm so glad my boys are both happy to see me when I come in still. And I don't think there was ever a time when I didn't want my mom around, but maybe I just don't remember.
Post a Comment